|Leody Taveras - CF||Josh Rojas - 2B|
|Yonny Hernandez - SS||Ketel Marte - CF|
|Nathaniel Lowe - 1B||Josh VanMeter - 3B|
|DJ Peters - RF||David Peralta - LF|
|Nick Solak - 2B||Carson Kelly - C|
|Jonah Heim - C||Pavin Smith - 1B|
|Jason Martin - LF||Daulton Varsho - RF|
|Charlie Culberson - 3B||Nick Ahmed - SS|
|Jordan Lyles - RHP||Zac Gallen - RHP|
The Arizona Diamondbacks made the following roster moves:
- Select RHP Brandyn Sittinger from Triple-A Reno.
- Place RHP Tyler Clippard on the injured list.
- Recalled LHP Miguel Aguilar (No. 68) from Reno yesterday.
- Optioned RHP Taylor Clarke to Reno following Sunday’s game
Altogether, now: who? Brandyn will be making his major-league debut, five years after being a 17th-round draft pick by the Detroit Tigers. He was signed by the D-backs as a minor-league free-agent in November 2019, but the pandemic meant he didn’t pitch at all in 2020. This year, has split time between Double-A Amarillo and Triple-A Reno. Across both levels, the reliever has a 4.03 ERA over 33 innings, with a K:BB of 51:17. The walks have ballooned a bit since going to Reno (14 in 22 IP), but that’s hopefully because Reno. Probably the most interesting thing is, he’s another indy-ball guy, having played in the Frontier League before being picked up by Arizona.
He’ll wear #52, which is surprisingly popular, having been worn by a dozen D-backs (the numbers on either side have been used twice and once respectively though the former being retired might be a factor!). Ryan Buchter was the most recent owner, with Zack Godley the best-known. Bit of a surprise to see Clippard hit the IL; the initial announcement makes no mention of a specific cause, but I imagine we’ll be hearing from Torey Lovullo on the topic in a line or two. Clarke being optioned may feel like a punishment after his terrible outing in extra innings on Sunday. But since his return from the IL in early August, he has been not good, allowing 18 hits and 10 earned runs in just 9.2 innings.
Torey Lovullo notes
- Henry Ramos Debut: “He was deserving of this call-up and opportunity. He got up there and made the most of it.” Torey would not commit to any specified amount of playing time or a role for Ramos going forward.
- Tyler Clippard was placed on the Covid IL with symptoms. Torey could not say if he had a positive test.
- Brandyn Sittinger called up. He’s a story very similar to Henry... Grinding through the minor leagues for a period of time, pitching in an independent league, and then coming in here. He put his head down and did his job, and blocked out all the other distractions with good stuff each night. We felt like this was an opportunity to come up here and show us what he could do.
- Taylor Clarke: Optioned to Reno. Since he’s returned from injury it’s been a grind and Torey has not been able to depend on consistency. Rather than bury him in the back of the bullpen they want him to continue getting more frequent reps in Reno to work things out. The fact that the minor league season is going through to the end of the year this is a good option for the team rather than depriving a guy of a chance to work at all as would be the case in a “normal” season.
- Zac Gallen has no innings limit on him going forward. He is built up and they want him to get as many innings as possible for the rest of the year.