|Jorge Soler - RF||Josh Rojas - SS|
|Freddie Freeman - 1B||Ketel Marte - 2B|
|Ozzie Albies - 2B||Daulton Varsho - CF|
|Austin Riley - 3B||David Peralta - LF|
|Adam Duvall - CF||Carson Kelly - C|
|Eddie Rosario - LF||Pavin Smith - 1B|
|Dansby Swanson - SS||Henry Ramos - RF|
|William Contreras - C||Ildemaro Vargas - 3B|
|Huascar Ynoa - RHP||Humberto Mejia - RHP|
The Arizona Diamondbacks made the following roster moves:
- Recalled RHP Humberto Mejía from Triple-A Reno.
- Optioned RHP Brandyn Sittinger to Reno following yesterday’s game.
It has been a bit of a roller-coaster for the Braves. As recently as August 12, they were third in the National League East, behind both the Phillies and the Mets. But they then surged, winning nine in a row as the teams ahead of them faded, to open up a five-game lead on top of the division. As recently as last Tuesday, they were still 41⁄2 games ahead. But things have grown a good deal less secure since. Going into play yesterday, their lead over the Phillies had shrunk to just a single game. And it does not look like there will any wild-card safety net in the East this year, with the West having one spot locked up, and the Central making a strong push for the other.
Sunday did provide a little bit of breathing space, as they blanked the Giants 3-0, while the Phillies lost, to restore the lead to two games. With Philadelphia having thirteen games left, that should be enough. Fangraphs currently gives the Braves a 72.5% chance of winning the division, so they are close to 3-1 on favorites. What will potentially decide the division is a three-game series between the Braves and Phillies in Atlanta, starting next Tuesday. The Braves will want to get there in pole position, and they will be looking to take at least three of this four-game set from the Diamondbacks. That’s especially so, as the Phillies coincidentally face our main rivals in Tankapalooza, the Baltimore Orioles.
Torey Lovullo notes
- Lineup not ready as of this writing (and still isn’t at 4:50 pm), we were told that Torey couldn’t answer any questions relating to Lineup or Roster Moves as of 3 PM
- Nick Ahmed: Torey could not tell us anything about what are the specific Bumps and Bruises that have kept him out of the lineup or when he might return to it
- Seth Beer is still waiting for “one more final opinion” and Torey still could not tell us anything about the diagnosis or the possibility of surgery
- Caleb Smith is feeling under the weather with a ‘stomach bug” and did not throw his bullpen today. He is eligible to come off of suspension Wednesday.,