|Josh Rojas - SS||Jose Altuve - 2B|
|Ketel Marte - 2B||Alex Bregman - 3B|
|David Peralta - LF||Yordan Alvarez - LF|
|Kole Calhoun - DH||Yuli Gurriel - 1B|
|Daulton Varsho - C||Kyle Tucker - RF|
|Christian Walker - 1B||Carlos Correa - SS|
|Pavin Smith - RF||Marwin Gonzalez - DH|
|Josh VanMeter - 3B||Chas McCormick - CF|
|Jake McCarthy - CF||Martin Maldonado - C|
|H. Castellanos - RHP||Lance McCullers - RHP|
The Arizona Diamondbacks made the following roster moves:
- Recalled RHP Luis Frías from Triple-A Reno.
- Optioned INF/OF Andrew Young to Reno following last night’s game.
Frias will become the 64th player used by the Diamondbacks when he takes the mound. It will also be his major-league debut. It completes quite the meteoric rise, considering he started the year in High-A ball. He made two starts for the Hillsboro Hops there, before moving to the Amarillo Sod Poodles at Double-A. His performances there included a seven-inning no-hitter on August 1, and a couple of weeks later, he received another promotion. has made five starts for Reno, going 2-1 with a 5.82 ERA. A good chunk of that was the result of his last outing, an ugly start in Las Vegas where Frias was charged with five earned runs in three innings.
Though the right-hander only turned 23 in May, he has actually been rattling around the organization for close to six years. Frias signed as an international free agent out of the Dominican Republic in November 2015, getting a $50,000 bonus. He seems to have missed the 2017 season entirely, and spent all of 2020 at the alternate training site, but in between those, he has an overall 3.80 ERA in 63 starts and 3 relief appearances. That definitely has to be one of the shorter track records in the minor leagues for a Diamondbacks prospect before getting called up. He’ll be wearing #65, and is the first player for Arizona to have it.
Torey Lovullo notes
- Luis Frias: He will work out of the bullpen. ”A very hardworking year, he progressed through 3 levels and continued to make strides. Hard throwing pitcher who is learning and growing. There’s a ton of strikeouts, it’s a high octane fastball and he’s been working on secondary stuff.”
- Andrew Young: Has been challenged again to improve in certain areas but Torey did not specify which areas, other than to not waste any time during his remaining time in Reno to improve. It’s the 7th time he’s been moved back and forth.
- Ketel Marte: Will continue to get more starts at 2B, but probably still play some outfield. Torey is “curious” to see what it looks like at 2B. [So are we Torey, so are we...] He said they are also thin in the infield right now too, so it’s partly out of necessity.
- Seth Beer updates should come on Monday