|Josh Rojas - 3B||Jose Altuve - 2B|
|Daulton Varsho - RF||Alex Bregman - 3B|
|David Peralta - LF||Yuli Gurriel - 1B|
|Christian Walker - 1B||Kyle Tucker - RF|
|Kole Calhoun - DH||Carlos Correa - SS|
|Carson Kelly - C||Marwin Gonzalez - DH|
|Josh VanMeter - 2B||Jake Meyers - CF|
|Nick Ahmed - SS||Jose Siri - LF|
|Jake McCarthy - CF||Jason Castro - C|
|M. Bumgarner - LHP||Brandon Bielak - RHP|
The Arizona Diamondbacks made the following roster moves:
- Reinstated OF Kole Calhoun (strained left hamstring) from the 10-day injured list.
- Placed INF Seth Beer (dislocated left shoulder) on the 10-day injured list, retro to Sept. 15.
All of the top teams have 16 games to play, but it’s now a two-horse race. The Orioles edged the Yankees in extra innings yesterday - they have eight wins against the Yankees, and only ten against the rest of the division, including a 1-18 record versus Tampa. That means they dropped back into a dead-heat between them and the D-backs, both sides sitting on 47-99. It’s effectively a two-horse race, with the Rangers and Pirates now both seven games back. Arizona seems to have a slightly harder remaining schedule. They will face Atlanta, LA and Colorado at home, Houston and SF on the road. Baltimore has home + away vs. Boston, four vs. Texas and three in Philadelphia and Toronto.
Here are the full standings. Note that if teams are tied for the same record this year, the 2020 record will be the tie-breaker. This gives Texas the edge over Pittsburgh. But both the Orioles and D-backs had the same 2020 record too, at 25-35. So we need to go back to 2019, when Arizona had the better record. So in the event of a tie between us and Baltimore, the Orioles will get the first pick.
- Baltimore Orioles 47-99
- Arizona Diamondbacks 47-99
- Texas Rangers 54-92
- Pittsburgh Pirates 54-92
- Washington Nationals 60-86
Torey Lovullo notes
- Ketel Marte is not in the lineup today, but Torey says it’s just an extra day off and he’s fine. (i.e. no injury issues). Hmmm...
- Seth Beer had to go on the IL after all. He got some imaging, and doctors are still evaluating... there are second opinions being sought, and we all know what that usually means. Torey would not reveal the diagnosis from the imaging or discuss surgery, but he talked about Seth being tough and not complaining about pain where there probably should have been some. So it doesn’t sound great.
- Kole Calhoun activated and is back in the lineup. Torey said he was always trending towards this day and the Beer IL had nothing to do with Kole coming back early. It was still surprising to see him activated in the lineup today however, as it did not sound at all like his return was THIS imminent from previous discussions just a couple days ago.
- Pavin Smith has a right arm contusion, but he can play today and is available off the bench