|Nick Ahmed - SS||Mookie Betts - RF|
|Ketel Marte - CF||Max Muncy - 1B|
|Carson Kelly - C||Trea Turner - 2B|
|Christian Walker - 1B||Corey Seager - SS|
|Josh Rojas - 3B||Justin Turner - 3B|
|Henry Ramos - LF||Will Smith - C|
|Andrew Young - 2B||Cody Bellinger - CF|
|Daulton Varsho - RF||Gavin Lux - LF|
|Merrill Kelly - RHP||Julio Urias - LHP|
The Diamondbacks made the following roster moves:
- Reinstated Merrill Kelly from the injured list.
- Placed Tyler Gilbert (left elbow inflammation) on the 10-day injured list.
- Transferred Kevin Ginkel (right elbow inflammation) to the Major League 60-day injured list.
As you’ve probably noticed from the SnakePit over the past couple of days, these are the kinds of games for which it’s really hard to work up much enthusiasm. From the team point of view of the Diamondbacks, they’re all but meaningless - will we or won’t we set a new record for franchise losses, is not exactly the stuff to inspire enthusiasm. The gulf in pure talent between the D-backs and the Dodgers/Giants is apparent in the 4-27 record against those teams this year. The team has conceded more than two runs for every one scored versus those teams this year (106-224), and means you’d have to be very optimistic to expect anything tonight except defeat.
I must admit, I haven’t seen a single pitch of the series, having preferred to amuse myself with American Ninja Warrior and finishing off Brand New Cherry Flavor over the past couple of nights. This evening may not be much different. As we head towards the dog-end of the season, Jack’s article today suggests that it’s likely to be a while before we see a contending team again. Rather than the macro picture, the pleasures gained from Diamondbacks baseball for the next couple of years are going to be micro ones, such as the development of young players. But I’m fine with that, I guess. Win or lose, it’s the people here that I enjoy, even in these darkest of times when the product on the field leaves a lot to be desired.
And, moving rapidly on...
Torey Lovullo notes
- Tyler Gilbert: had some elbow soreness and has been sent back to Arizona to be evaluated. They are thankful that he spoke up and explained how he was feeling . They’ll see how he progresses the next 10 days and then re-evaluate. Torey did not speak to Tyler directly.
- Merrill Kelly: His pitch count is probably about 15-18 pitches more than his rehab start. If memory serves he threw 66 pitches in that rehab start, so figure on 80 pitches or so tonight
- Seth Beer Feels OK and was getting ready to take swings in the cage. Depending on how he feels they will determine his availability for tonight’s game and over the next couple of days. Torey would not say whether he felt Seth will be able to avoid an IL stint.
- Kole Calhoun will play in an Arizona Complex League Game tomorrow