|Trent Grisham - CF||Josh Rojas - 2B|
|Jake Cronenworth - SS||Ketel Marte - CF|
|Manny Machado - 3B||Pavin Smith - RF|
|Fernando Tatis - RF||Christian Walker - 1B|
|Eric Hosmer - 1B||David Peralta - LF|
|Wil Myers - LF||Josh VanMeter - 3B|
|Adam Frazier - 2B||Daulton Varsho - C|
|Austin Nola - C||Nick Ahmed - SS|
|Chris Paddack - RHP||Tyler Gilbert - LHP|
The Arizona Diamondbacks made the following roster moves:
- Recalled RHP Sean Poppen from Triple-A Reno.
- Optioned RHP Humbero Mejía to Reno following yesterday’s game
Yes, it’s the return of Prof. Poppen! As discussed below, it’s to provide an extra bullpen arm, and the schedule is favorable for a bit, in terms of off-days. There are three off-days in the next eleven: each of the two upcoming Thursdays, as well as next Monday. Actually, I only have two more Monday recaps to do after tonight. Mind you, Mr. Burt doesn’t have a Thursday recap scheduled until September 23.
Throwing out the first pitch tonight will be Olympic gold medalist Jade Carey. She was born in Phoenix, went to Mountain Ridge High School, and still lives here. Jade was part of the women’s gymnastics team at the recent Tokyo Olympics, and won the gold medal in the floor discipline there. So, if there’s not some flippy, spinny stuff performed during the first pitch tonight, I’m going to be somewhat disappointed. Heck, Simone Biles did a somersault on the mound when she threw out a World Series first pitch, though did suffer a 0.3 deduction for not releasing the ball during the exercise. Your move, Jade. Your move...
Torey Lovullo notes
- Luke Weaver is at Chase Field and will throw a bullpen today. No word as to when exactly he will face live batters.
- Merrill Kelly will throw a bullpen tomorrow. Also no word where and when next steps after that.
- Kole Calhoun is taking BP with the team at Chase but has not yet taken live at bats where he runs out of the box yet
- Humberto Mejia was optioned and Sean Poppen recalled. Mejia did a good job according to Torey and they really like his stuff. But they felt they needed a bullpen arm and then will make a decision in several days as to next steps. [Note: Thursday is an off day so they can potentially skip that spot in the rotation next time through, and by the time it comes up again presumably one or both of Kelly and Weaver could be back.]
- Poppen was throwing well and was working on some things when he was sent down and they want to evaluate him over the next month
- Caleb Smith’s hearing appealing his 10 day suspension for foreign substance on his glove will be Thursday September 2nd - so conveniently after rosters expand.