|Austin Slater - RF||Josh VanMeter - 2B|
|Kris Bryant - LF||Asdrubal Cabrera - 3B|
|Darin Ruf - 1B||Kole Calhoun - RF|
|Wilmer Flores - 3B||Carson Kelly - C|
|Donovan Solano - 2B||David Peralta - LF|
|Thairo Estrada - SS||Christian Walker - 1B|
|Steven Duggar - CF||Daulton Varsho - CF|
|Curt Casali - C||Nick Ahmed - SS|
|Johnny Cueto - RHP||M. Bumgarner - LHP|
The Arizona Diamondbacks made the following roster moves:
- Selected LHP Tyler Gilbert (No. 49) from Triple-A Reno.
- Optioned LHP Miguel Aguilar to Reno following last night’s game.
Another day, another debutant. Today’s player potentially making his first appearance for the 2021 Diamondbacks is Glbert, who unlike Prof. Poppen last night, will also be making his major league debut. He was originally a Phillies 6th-round pick in 2015, and was traded to the Dodgers in February last year. We snagged him from Los Angeles in the AAA phase of the Rule 5 draft in December, which is cheaper than the major league portion, and doesn’t have the same roster requirements. Shame we just closed out a series against the Dodgers, I’m sure Gilbert would have been up for it.
Interestingly, he has been mostly a starter for the Reno Aces this year, going 5-2 with a decent 3.44 ERA over 10 starts and a total of 52.1 innings. He has a K:BB of 50:19 over that time. Perhaps he’ll be used in long relief, helping loosen the load on the bullpen caused by the tendency of our starters to fall short of five innings. Glibert said he picked up velocity this spring, after using a program of weighted balls, getting up to 95 mph. His number #49 was most recently worn by Alex Young, who was claimed off waivers by the Cleveland Men’s Roller Derby Team last week. Most famously, of course, it was previously owned by Byung-Hyun Kim, closer for the World Series winning team.
Torey Lovullo notes
- Tyler Gilbert called up. We’ve been getting a little thinned out in the bullpen and needed to add some reinforcements. Gilbert has been throwing the ball extremely well all year long. [Indeed, 11 G, 10 GS 52.1 IP, 3.44 ERA, 4.17 FIP in RENO is quite good]. Gilbert will work out of the bullpen in a variety of roles, both short and long as needed. Miguel Aguilar did a good job, but pitched 3 of the last 4 days. He’ll be back.
- Ketel Marte is getting a scheduled day off. It was part of the return plan to be off today. He will be available off the bench and then play several days in a row after today. When Ketel had the swinging bunt yesterday and sprinted down the first base line, Torey said he was caught between ”we need a big basehit and take it easy”. He said that’s why they ran him so many tests to get him ready because once the game starts “there is no governor” when they sniff a base hit.
- Noe Ramirez had a tough couple of days with symptomatic Covid, but is feeling much better today. Torey had not yet spoken to Stuart Fairchild today or the other three players on the IL due to contact tracing protocols, but they continue to be tested and are doing fine. (Pavin Smith, Riley Smith, Joe Mantiply)
- Veteran Heavy Lineups have been utilized since the trade deadline . “We need to play some of the veterans right now because thats the way our roster is constructed” However he went on to say will probably change a bit once Pavin Smith and Josh Rojas are back.