|Tommy Pham - LF||Nick Ahmed - SS|
|Adam Frazier - 2B||Ketel Marte - CF|
|Manny Machado - 3B||Asdrubal Cabrera - 3B|
|Jake Cronenworth - SS||Carson Kelly - C|
|Austin Nola - C||Pavin Smith - RF|
|Eric Hosmer - 1B||Christian Walker - 1B|
|Wil Myers - RF||Josh Rojas - 2B|
|Trent Grisham - CF||Daulton Varsho - LF|
|Blake Snell - LHP||M. Bumgarner - LHP|
The Arizona Diamondbacks made the following roster moves:
- J.B. Wendelken reported to the team and will be active for tonight’s game. He was claimed off waivers from the A’s on Wednesday.
- The #Dbacks optioned Sean Poppen to Triple-A Reno following last night’s game.
So, it’s a farewell to Prof. Poppen for now. He looked decent in his time here, allowing one run over six innings, on five hits and a walk (that, intentional too), with six strikeouts. But it’s a question of minor-league options as much as anything: Poppen had then, Wendelken does not. That said, there were quite a few others who did: indeed, everyone else bar Tyler Clippard and Jake Faria, including the likes of Brett De Geus and Joe Mantiply. I guess someone has to draw the short straw.
Below, Torey Lovullo talks about that and also Taylor Widener. I’m curious as to exactly what the rules are in regard to his injured list stay. Since he was officially placed on the IL, and did not test positive for COVID, does that mean has to stay out for 10 days before being eligible to return? I know the rules are different for COVID - for example, when the D-backs had their outbreak, the players who had to be added to the 40-man roster did not have to go through waivers on their way off it. But I’m not certain what happens when a move was made purely out of caution, and the player just has a cold. Maybe Jack can ask about that tomorrow!
Torey Lovullo notes
- J.B. Wendelken in, Sean Poppen out: This is an unfortunate situation [for Poppen] where we picked up a quality reliever in JB, and that was the decision that was made. We assured him he was on the right path, it’s been a wonderful first impression but there’s some work that needs to be done... Getting a guy like JB into the system we feel like was a no brainer.......
- Taylor Widener tested negative for COVID and was at the ball park today, but is still battling cold symptoms and went back home for the day. Torey would not indicate the protocols for Taylor and when he might throw again.
- Noe Ramirez threw a 30 pitch pen and will thrown in the AZL in a couple of days
- Stuart Fairchild has been cleared for all baseball activities, and took live AB’s in intrasquad today.
- Caleb Smith will continue to be evaluated, but since he threw 80 pitches he will not be available in any role for several days at least.