|Kole Calhoun - RF||Isiah Kiner-Falefa - SS|
|Josh VanMeter - 2B||Eli White - LF|
|Eduardo Escobar - 3B||Adolis Garcia - CF|
|Christian Walker - 1B||Joey Gallo - RF|
|Asdrubal Cabrera - DH||Andy Ibanez - 2B|
|David Peralta - LF||Nathaniel Lowe - 1B|
|Nick Ahmed - SS||Curtis Terry - DH|
|Daulton Varsho - CF||Charlie Culberson - 3B|
|Bryan Holaday - C||Jose Trevino - C|
|M. Bumgarner - LHP||Jordan Lyles - RHP|
Very generous of the Diamondbacks to, literally, run themselves out of the game yesterday, and allow the Rangers to end their 12-game losing streak against us. They do possess an 11-game ROAD losing streak which remains active - “That’s nice,” say the Diamondbacks. “Get back to us when you reach twenty, will you?” It was, of course, another one-run defeat, dropping their record in those to 3-21. They now have exactly the same number of losses this year by one run, as all losses by a margin of more than four runs, combined. Here’s how all 71 losses so far break down:
- By one run: 21
- By two runs: 11
- By three runs: 9
- By four runs: 9
- By five or more runs: 21
For the record, we need ten more the rest of the way, to tie the franchise mark, since the most one-run losses in a season by Arizona is 31. That’s been done twice: you won’t be surprised to learn that one of those times was in 2004. Lots of losses increases the chances of them being by one run. But the team also had 31 one-run losses in 2018, when they actually finished above .500 (82-80). 39% of all the D-backs defeats that year were by the smallest margin possible. I think the all-time highest percentage there, may belong to the 1971 Astros. They lost 83 games in total, but more than half of them (43) were one-run defeats. Though they also had 32 one-run wins that year. Win by the sword...
Torey Lovullo notes
- Jon Duplantier release: Torey said he has nothing to do with who is on or off the roster. “That’s a front office thing”. Dup was battling a strained right lat and was recovering from that.
- Carson Kelly caught 9 innings and got 4 at bats last night with Hillsboro and is DH’ing in a day game today. Torey would not commit to Carson being activated for Friday’s game but also didn’t think he needed to catch back to back games to prove he’s ready. They will re evaluate after today’s game.
- Ketel Marte is on his way to Sacramento to begin a rehab assignment with Reno. He played 5 innings in a ACL game yesterday
- Taylor Clarke will pitch for Reno on Friday
- Seth Frankoff will pitch for Reno on Saturday
- Luke Weaver’s bullpen went fine. He will face live hitters on Friday