|Adam Frazier - 2B||Nick Ahmed - SS|
|Ke'Bryan Hayes - 3B||Josh Rojas - LF|
|Bryan Reynolds - CF||Eduardo Escobar - 3B|
|Ben Gamel - LF||Christian Walker - 1B|
|John Nogowski - 1B||Andrew Young - 2B|
|Gregory Polanco - RF||Josh Reddick - RF|
|Wilmer Difo - SS||Stuart Fairchild - CF|
|Michael Perez - C||Daulton Varsho - C|
|Tyler Anderson - LHP||Taylor Widener - RHP|
The #Dbacks recall Taylor Widener from Triple-A Reno.— Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) July 20, 2021
Alex Young was optioned to Reno following last night’s game.
In case the picture doesn’t make it clear, I won’t be watching the game tonight. Heading out for an anniversary dinner with Mrs. SnakePit. However, please note that all automatic counter-measures e.g. the patented SnakePit p*ny detection system, will be in full effect. So don’t take any chances, in the mistaken belief I’m somehow “off the grid.” Like the President with the nuclear football, there’s an aide never more than three steps away, carrying the briefcase which contains the “Ban” button... On the plus side, I don’t anticipate any difficulty getting a table, since I’m sure a large percentage of Phoenix will be watching the Suns try to force a Game 7, by beating the Bucks in Milwaukee tonight.
If that happens, it will likely be the biggest event in Arizona sports since the Cardinals reached the Super Bowl in 2008. Victory would, of course, be the biggest thing since the Diamondbacks won in 2001. I must confess, even though I have zero interest in the NBA (and it’s 50/50 as to whether or not I could name a single member of the Phoenix Suns), I may well sneak a peek or two at my phone during dinner. I do think they show how it is possible for a sports franchise to go from cellar to penthouse very quickly - even under much-maligned ownership. Though it’s obviously much easier in a sport where only five men are on the field at a time. #GoSuns, I guess!
Torey Lovullo notes
- Taylor Widener is stretched out enough to get deeper in the game than we saw the last time but for competitive advantage reasons Torey did not indicate the pitch count number. The corresponding move is Alex Young being optioned. Asked what he saw the last time Taylor started: “Uncomfortable at bats. He was executing and getting some big outs at the right time and limited a lot of the potential damage”
- Tyler Clippard should be close, but an activation date has not been communicated yet. Torey spoke at length at his professionalism and how hard it was that day in spring training in Maryvale when he came off the mound, and how he committed to the process and has worked hard to get back when it looked like his season might have been over initially.
- Ketel Marte had his MRI and it was “good, near full resolution”. He has only done forward running, he hasn’t made turns yet or run the full bases
- Tyler Clippard and Luke Weaver each had 20+ pitch bullpens
- Carson Kelly had 3 live AB”s vs. Seth Frankoff today.