|Trea Turner - SS||Jarrod Dyson - CF|
|Adam Eaton - RF||Ketel Marte - 2B|
|Anthony Rendon - 3B||Eduardo Escobar - 3B|
|Juan Soto - LF||David Peralta - LF|
|Howie Kendrick - 1B||Adam Jones - RF|
|Brian Dozier - 2B||Jake Lamb - 1B|
|Yan Gomes - C||Nick Ahmed - SS|
|Victor Robles - CF||Carson Kelly - C|
|Joe Ross - RHP||Alex Young - LHP|
That was certainly among the most tumultuous of trade deadlines for the Diamondbacks in a very long time. A significant chunk of the starting rotation is different from what it was when the team started play in their last game, with the departure of Zack Greinke, and the arrivals of Mike Leake and Zac Gallen. The future is a very different place now, it seems. And there were a bunch of roster movies as well since last time, to open up a 40-man roster spot for Gallen, as well as for other movies. If you’re playing Reno Bus Bingo, here are the full details.
- Recalled RHP Stefan Crichton from Triple-A Reno and optioned INF/OF Yasmany Tomás to Reno.
- Reinstated INF Kevin Cron from the 10-day injured list (right elbow inflammation) and optioned him to Reno.
- Transferred UTL Blake Swihart to the 60-day injured list (strained right oblique).
- Designated RHP Joey Krehbiel for assignment.
I think there may be one more movie necessary, to open up a 25-man spot for Gallen, but he’s not here yet, so time enough for that. Could be Crichton going back down? Interesting to see the Tomas stay proving so short, and ultimately, fruitless. We’ll see if he is recalled when rosters expand at the beginning of next month. This will be a tough series for Arizona, with about the only saving grace being that they won’t see Max Scherzer. With Steven Strasburg and Patrick Corbin starting tomorrow and Sunday, it feels like tonight’s contest is one they need to win, to have much of a chance of taking the series. We’ll see if Alex Young can keep up the strong start to his career, or if tonight is regression night at Chase Field.
Torey Lovullo’s media briefing
The full file is worth a listen. There’s lots of good anecdotal stuff about Zack Greinke, his relationship with Torey + his teammates, and how they’re dealing with everything.
- Luke Weaver threw out to 150 feet. Should be progressing from long toss to flat ground throwing, but no time-table was given. I am personally increasingly skeptical Luke Weaver throws more than a few relief innings before the end of the season.
- Taijuan Walker is a little behind Weaver, throwing out to 75 feet. I doubt we see him in the majors at all this year.
- Matt Andriese threw 1/3 of an inning in the AZL. Was supposed to be 1 full inning, but he got knocked around. At least he’s healthy.
- The newly acquired starters Gallen and Leake will both throw in the Philly series. For at least this time through the order and the home-stand it looks like a 6 man rotation.
- The closer situation is still fluid depending on matchups. It could be any one of Archie, Yoan, Yoshi, or even Chafin depending on matchups and situation. Only thing for certain is it WON’T be Holland...
Bonus audio file!
This is a full 10-minute discussion in the dugout with Mike Hazen. Most of the questions cannot be heard that easily but you can hear Hazen’s answers pretty clearly - you may need to turn your sound up! Jack’s question was the one about Smith and Beer, and what positions they are likely to play.