|Joe Panik - 2B||Jarrod Dyson - CF|
|Mike Yastrzemski - RF||Ketel Marte - 2B|
|Pablo Sandoval - 3B||David Peralta - LF|
|Brandon Belt - 1B||Adam Jones - RF|
|Stephen Vogt - C||Eduardo Escobar - 3B|
|Kevin Pillar - CF||Christian Walker - 1B|
|Alex Dickerson - LF||Nick Ahmed - SS|
|Brandon Crawford - SS||Carson Kelly - C|
|Jeff Samardzija - RHP||Taylor Clarke - RHP|
After a very disappointing series against the Rockies, we’ll see whether the D-backs can perform rather better against the Giants. Last time we played San Francisco, it went rather well: if you’d forgotten, the Diamondbacks swept them, pounding the Giants by a combined score of 34-8 over a three-game series. But the last set against them at Chase Field was not as successful, San Francisco taking two of three. With the back end of the D-backs rotation in action this weekend, there’s not much room for error. A sweep by Arizona would at least reset the team to three games above .500; but as Jack mentioned in his preview, victory seems the very least that the D-backs need this weekend.
The roof is going to be open tonight, and will be again tomorrow night as well. I’m trying to figure out some way to use the Play Index to see when was the last time we played beneath open skies in Phoenix as late as June 22, but haven’t figured it out yet. Enjoy this while it lasts, folks. I’m pretty sure we won’t be seeing the sky above Chase Field for much of July or August. Mind you, the forecast temperature for first pitch tonight is still going to be close to a hundred degrees, so it might be a little toasty, especially in the upper decks, until the sun has completely sunk below the horizon...
Torey Lovullo’s media update
- Zack Godley will start tomorrow night’s game. He is fully stretched out, having gone over 70 pitches last time out, and will go as long as he can.
- Jon Duplantier had a follow up MRI scan that came back clean. He was doing some tossing out to 75 ft. He will resume a throwing program soon, but no timetable for his return has been communicated to the media. However Torey did say it would not be a “total reboot” to get him stretched back out to be able to start.
- Wilmer Flores will have a follow up scan next week, and if clear, will resume baseball activities.
- Jake Lamb played 9 innings last night at 3rd and will play 9 innings at 3rd again tonight.
- Torey also addressed at some length the team’s wild swings and inconsistency between playing really well and very poorly. But emphasized today is a “recalibration day”