The D-backs conceded 15 runs on Sunday in Washington, their day ending with a position player pitching - and the only pitcher Arizona used, not to concede at least four earned runs on the day. Meanwhile the Rockies conceded 14 runs, in the finale of their series against the Padres, and got to enjoy a starting pitcher walking another pitcher with the bases loaded. I think the shock will probably be worse on the Rockies. You can make an argument that the D-backs threw up a white flag by starting Archie Bradley, for the first time since 2016, and after a not exactly stellar run of performances. Colorado, meanwhile, blew a 13-8 lead at the end of the sixth inning - and it wasn’t even close to their worst meltdown of that series...
A few notes by Jack from Torey Lovullo’s pre-game press conference.
- Ketel Marte: Always talented, was rushed to majors. Accepts coaching, overcame early season frustration last year. Becoming a complete hitter and up and coming star
- Archie Bradley: Sunday outing just a dud. Needs to use the change-up more
- Duplantier: Still not throwing. Perhaps moving back and forth from relieving to starting was a factor in his injury.
- Jake Lamb: Latest date he can remain in AAA is June 27th. The length of his rehab assignment is about his need to build reps and stamina and ramp up, and has nothing to do with current roster construction.
- Merrill Kelly: Has given team a shot in the arm. Reinvented himself in Korea.
- Shifts: Team will work within the rules and take advantage of the army of people and information helping design the shifts.
Here’s the full audio if you want more details.
Hopefully, Kelly can continue his series of excellent starts. He’s 3-0 in June, with an ERA of just 0.81, and a K:BB ratio of 18:2 in 22.1 innings. That degree of control is very impressive, and getting off to a winning start in this series, between two teams who are basically tied in the standings, will be doubly important.
And, let’s just say, I am particularly looking forward to tonight’s SnakePit recap. You’ll see. :)