Arizona Diamondbacks News
[D’backs.com] Sloppy defense dooms late rally for D-backs - A furious late rally by the D-backs came up short as the Padres managed to hang on for a 7-5 win Monday night at Chase Field. It was an ugly start to the game for the D-backs as they played sloppy defense through the first three innings of the game while the Padres built a 5-0 lead. The Padres pushed their lead to 6-1 in the seventh thanks to an Eric Hosmer homer. The D-backs, however, would not go quietly as they loaded the bases in the bottom of the seventh off reliever Daniel Hudson. That prompted the Padres to turn to Emilio Pagán and he allowed a two-out grand slam to Ketel Marte to pull the D-backs close at 6-5.
[AZ Central] Marte hits grand slam, but Diamondbacks can’t overcome big deficit in loss to Padres - D-Backs rookie starter Tyler Gilbert was hit hard by the Padres a little more than two weeks after he threw a no-hitter against them on Aug. 14. He was just the fourth pitcher in MLB history — and the first since 1953 — to throw a no-hitter in his initial big league start. Gilbert (1-2) gave up five runs, including three earned, over five innings. He gave up eight hits, walked one and struck out four. Arizona has lost four straight. Tatis made the Diamondbacks pay for a first-inning error with his 36th homer of the year — a no-doubter to deep left center field. Gilbert looked like he was going to get the third out of the first when he picked off Trent Grisham, who broke early for second on a stolen base attempt. But Josh Rojas mishandled the throw from first baseman Christian Walker, allowing Grisham to reach second.
[The Athletic] How Diamondbacks prospect Geraldo Perdomo went from ‘drowning mentally’ to turning his season around - [Geraldo Perdomo] remains one of the organization’s most important prospects — their shortstop of the future, although first-round pick Jordan Lawlar might have something to say about that — but a return to the majors this year has never looked all that realistic for him. Despite that, though, things are looking up for the switch-hitting infielder. After his demotion from the majors, Perdomo fell into a miasma of mechanical and mental struggles at the plate. Through his first 47 games with Amarillo, he was hitting a meager .151/.305/.204, seeming to validate every doubter who said he might be able to lay off balls outside the strike zone but couldn’t do much with the ones inside of it. He was, in the words of his agent, Rafael Nieves of Republik Sports, “drowning mentally.”
Around the League
[MLB.com] ‘Positive news’ for Flaherty; plans for closer - The Cardinals received good news Monday after getting a second opinion on the right shoulder of Jack Flaherty. Their ace pitcher, who was 9-2 with a 3.08 ERA in 14 starts this season, suffered no structural damage and can recover with rest, rehab and a gradual resumption of throwing. “The second opinion was basically echoed,” manager Mike Shildt said before Monday’s series opener with the Reds at Great American Ball Park. “He’s going to be in a rest and recovery mode, and when he’s able to throw, he’ll start throwing and we’ll take the progression from there.”
[MLB Trade Rumors] Giants Place Alex Wood, Johnny Cueto On COVID-19 Injured List - The Giants announced they’ve placed starting pitchers Alex Wood and Johnny Cueto on the COVID-19 injured list. Infielder Jason Vosler and reliever John Brebbia have been recalled from Triple-A Sacramento to take their places on the active roster. Wood has tested positive for COVID-19, manager Gabe Kapler told reporters (including Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports Bay Area). Cueto has not tested positive, but he’s feeling virus-like symptoms. The Giants will conduct an impromptu bullpen game tonight against the Brewers in place of Cueto, who had been scheduled to take the ball. The team remains hopeful Cueto could be back as soon as tomorrow.
[Yahoo Sports] Mets fans booed their team during its freefall, and now the players are returning the favor - For the last month or so, the Mets have been in what could be politely referred to as a free fall. After entering the All-Star break in first place in the NL East, the team has lost 21 of its last 30 games and fallen to third place and 7.5 games back in the standings. As you can imagine, Mets fans made their displeasure known during this stretch, frequently and vocally. Which the players apparently did not appreciate. The players waited until a now-rare win to make their real feelings known. During a 9-4 dispatching of the Washington Nationals, multiple players could be seen celebrating big hits by throwing a thumbs down sign, something they have apparently been doing for at least a week.