Home opener festivities
- A tribute to frontline workers including doctors, nurses and staff from Banner Heath, Dignity Health, Phoenix Children’s Hospital, Steward Health Care and AMR as well as Chevrolet’s Community MVPs
- Ceremonial first pitch by Arizona Department of Health Services Director Dr. Cara M. Christ
- Moment of silence for the late D-backs Vice President of Player Development Mike Bell
- National anthem sung by Retired U.S. Navy Petty Officer First Class Steven Powell
- Flyover by four F-16s from the 310th Fighter Squadron from Luke Air Force Base at conclusion of the anthem
I’m particularly curious to see how this will work. Reports from Petco suggest that their implementation of it was a bit of a disaster. Will the Diamondbacks have learned from the Padres’ mistakes? I’m fairly sure there will be people who did not get the message about cash no longer being accepted at the park. [Rant redacted about the hypocrisy of this], but even beyond that, it’s an entirely untried system at Chase. Even though the Opening Day crowd will be less than half the size of normal, it’s going to pose a challenge.
As usual, there are some new concessions and food items, though perhaps nothing on the monumentally insane scale of previous years. Some of them do sound quite good though; the Ultimate Bacon Pub Burger may stray across my palate, should I get to Chase this year. Here are the details of that, and the other new arrivals.
- Gadzooks (located at Sections 116 and 314)
- Poblano Cheesesteak (Shaved Philly Ribeye, American Cheese, fire roasted poblano chile, barbecue aioli, battered onion straws)
- Beer Cheese Bratwurst (Beer bratwurst, pub beer cheese, griddled onion, brown mustard, pretzel roll)
- 505 Green Chile, Chicken Bacon and Ranch Tots (Grilled chicken, tots, nacho cheese, bacon, 505 green chile)
- Ultimate Bacon Pub Burger (Chuck patty, pub beer cheese, bacon, battered onion, barbecue sauce, pickles, potato roll)
- Danzeisen Dairy Chocolate Mint Chip Stack Shake
- Fry’s Grab n’ Go – Unique stands throughout the main concourse stocked with small bites, drinks and pre-packaged goods available to purchase quickly
- The Still at Cutwater – Award-winning distillery Cutwater Spirits will have an assortment of ready-to-enjoy canned cocktails, including limited-edition cans of its popular classic Vodka Mule featuring D-backs marks
- A 25% discount off purchases at Taste of Chase for those using a Chase credit or debit card, and 15% off at the Chase Field Team Shop for Chase debit card users.
The biggest change is going to be the new clear bag policy, which was supposed to have gone into effect for the 2020 season, before fans were removed from that equation. This is another area that is going to catch people out early on. If you show up with a non-approved bag, you can either return to your vehicle or put it - for a small charge, naturally! - in one of the lockers at the park. “Users are able to access and pay for their Binbox locker through the Binbox app on their Smartphone (Android and iOS), offering a contact free solution. Once purchased, the locker is opened on demand by the user’s phone, no waiting in line.”
- Clear Bags (Plastic, vinyl or PVC) with no obscured interior pockets cannot exceed 12” x 6” x 12”
- Plastic Storage Bag (Re-sealable, clear) -1 Gallon
- Small Clutch Bags/Wallets no larger than 6.5” x 4.5”
- All small clutch bags/wallets within a clear tote bag must fit the approved dimensions (6.5” x 4.5”)
- Seat cushions without pockets, zippers or concealable areas cannot exceed 18” wide
- Clothing and blankets are permitted if carried loosely or in an approved clear bag
Not approved bags:
- Bags and wallets exceeding the size of a small clutch bag (6.5” W x 4.5” H)
- Non-approved seat cushions
- Luggage of any kind, computer bags, camera bags, briefcases, fanny packs, cinch bags or any bag larger than the permissible size (6.5” W x 4.5” H)
Also of note: a change in the times when the gates will open for this season, with a smaller window before first pitch. They now open one hour prior to first pitch for games on Monday through Thursday, and ninety minutes prior to first pitch for Friday, Saturday and Sunday games. There is no early entry for season ticket holders. To start the season, the Sandlot in the upper concourse will be closed, as will some premium areas including the BMW Homeplate Lounge, Sedona Club and Sonoran Room. The BMW Homeplate Lounge is actually being used as a players’ dining-room for now!
And, of course, there are anti-COVID rules in place, until revoked:
- You must wear a face mask at all times in all common areas at Chase Field (including, but not limited to, while in lines outside or inside of Chase Field, while walking on the plaza or on a concourse inside of Chase Field and while in restrooms). We welcome you to remove your face mask while actively eating or drinking while in your socially distanced seats.
- You must sit only in your purchased seats in order to ensure social distancing. Do not move to other open seats around you.
- Take advantage of the hand sanitizing stations and restrooms to frequently wash your hands.
- Follow instructions at Chase Field and maintain social distancing from other fans.