- David Peralta, LF
- Ketel Marte, DH
- Eduardo Escobar, 3B
- Nick Ahmed, SS
- Carson Kelly, C
- Trayce Thompson, RF
- Daulton Varsho, CF
- Pavin Smith, 1B
- Domingo Leyba, 2B
+ RHP Zac Gallen, RHP Riley Smith, LHP Tyler Gilbert, LHP Joe Mantiply, RHP Jeremy Beasley, LHP Taylor Guilbeau
Torey Lovullo notes
- Asdrubal Cabrera who was hit on the hand in the 1st inning last night dodged a bullet. His baby finger on the right hand was the one affected, but is doing well with no issues
- No other injury or COVID-19 Updates. Looks good. It’s 5 full days since Locastro’s positive test and no further positives.
- JBB vs the Angels the other day was on the attack with all 3 pitches and execution was good. He has the stuff but has to execute and be consistent going forward. (I can sense the manager’s hesitation to buy in to a rookie pitcher until proven)
- Taylor Clarke’s outing vs.the Reds was following a good “gameplan”, (everyone take a shot) He got “nicked up” for a solo homerun (take another shot!) but has been throwing the ball well. Will continue to stretch him out if they need a starter and towards end of spring they may make adjustments.
- They will still be making cuts/sendouts like past seasons, despite no minor league camp, but Torey doesn’t know what will happen with those players. He could not give a date for when the first round of cuts will be.
- Zac Gallen will try to go three innings today at 15-18 pitches per inning. He will be on an innings limit, most likely, in 2021, but they have not determined the number. Last year’s low workload is a factor and it’s not safe to jump from 60-70 innings up to near 200 for everybody. The team will occasionally give him an extra day, use a 6th starter or even skip him once in a while to preserve his innings should the team be in a playoff hunt late in the year. They’ll be creative and smart in making adjustments.
- Neither Joakim Soria or Tyler Clippard has pitched in a game yet. Soria will pitch tomorrow. Clippard sometime in the following days. “Everything is progressing perfectly, there are no issues whatsoever” Torey said. Clippard is in very good shape, but came in a little bit late due to signing late so they’re not rushing him. He threw live BP yesterday.
- Tim Locastro is on the Herschel Walker Push Up plan trying to get to 1500 pushups a day. He got up to 300 and conked out, said Torey laughing. TLO assured Torey he is feeling really good and as soon as he clears protocol he’ll be ready to go 9 innings. The team will check in with the medical team and probably ease him in a little slower, but he’s 100% confident TLO will be ready for opening day.
Torey Lovullo audio [or link]
This game is being broadcast on Arizona Sports, 98.7 FM, so tune in there!