|Raimel Tapia - LF||Tim Locastro - RF|
|Trevor Story - SS||Ketel Marte - 2B|
|Nolan Arenado - 3B||Starling Marte - CF|
|Charlie Blackmon - RF||Christian Walker - 1B|
|Daniel Murphy - 1B||David Peralta - LF|
|Ryan McMahon - 2B||Eduardo Escobar - 3B|
|Matt Kemp - DH||Nick Ahmed - SS|
|Sam Hilliard - CF||Andy Young - DH|
|Tony Wolters - C||Carson Kelly - C|
|Kyle Freeland - LHP||Zac Gallen - RHP|
The team made roster moves for the series finale. They recalled pitcher Joel Payamps and infielder Andy Young from Salt River Fields, while optioning Kevin Cron and designating reliever Matt Grace for assignment. The latter two have had fairly wretched seasons to this point. Cron is still waiting for his first hit, having gone 0-for-17 with one walk and seven Ks, as pitchers have ruthlessly exploited his vulnerability to breaking pitches. Through 32 games, no other position player on the Diamondbacks has ever endured a bigger ohfer than 0-for-7 - most recently, by Roger Kieschnick in 2014. In the 20+ PA club, the two lowest batting averages to this point are both this year: Cron’s .000 and Jake Lamb’s .105.
And then there’s Grace. If this is the end of his time with the Diamondbacks, he will leave with an ERA of 54.00, having allowed six earned runs while retiring three batters. Obvious comparison is obvious:
Mark Grace: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 9.00 ERA— AZ SnakePit (@AZSnakepit) August 27, 2020
Matt Grace: 1 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO, 54.00 ERA https://t.co/y6zDsNpFPr
Grace (Matt, not Mark) currently owns the highest ERA in team history by any pitcher with at least one inning worked. He trails a pair of pitchers whose tenure in Arizona was briefer still. In 1998, Ricky Pickett gave up six earned runs in 0.2 innings of work, and in 2007, J.D. Durbin allowed seven earned runs is his sole outing as a Diamondback. He was not asked back, but did work the rest of the season with the Phillies.
Pre-game audio from Torey Lovullo
- Protests/ Game Cancellations. This is a player driven initiative and will support whatever they decide to do. No indication they are planning to cancel. Long discussion about his position, role, educational process and potential future use of his platform ensued. Asked why it’s a player driven decision Torey said: “Because I think that the game will not be made up, it’s a game that’s going to be postponed. I think it has something to do with their pay. I think people should draw their own conclusion from that”
- Madison Bumgarner will throw a sim game Saturday. His return to the rotation is at least 7-10 days away. Mike Hazen actually hinted at this on the radio this week, as he said he did not want to take risks with MadBum’s future. Saturday starter has not been informed yet. They have a name in mind, but it will be announced later.
- Kevin Cron send out: Was trying to do too much and not responding to how he was being game planned.
- He’s excited for Andy Young’s return to roster and they anticipate him being able to control at bats.
- Joel Payamps to replace the DFA’d Matt Grace. Payamps give “length coverage”
Pre-game audio from Archie Bradley
- Some very thoughtful comments made by Archie, done respectfully, with humility, and genuine passion AND balance. Worth a listen if you have 20 minutes.