Thanks to all those who chipped in with suggestions, comments and discussion on the original post. The cut-off point ended up at more than two recs. I was more inclined to hear a case for great moments rather than necessarily overall performances, though could hardly exclude the Big Unit’s 20th K. I also felt it necessary to limit Game 7 of the 2001 World Series to one candidate. Otherwise, the top 10 could well end up being comprised entirely of moments from that game. Just about everything after RJ coming in from the bullpen - a moment that still gives me chills even thinking about it - could have a credible case be made for it.
Here’s the full list in text form. again in chronological order.
- March 9, 1995. Phoenix awarded an expansion franchise
- March 31, 1998. Travis Lee hits first franchise homer, in first game
- July 11, 1999. Jay Bell’s grand-slam makes a millionaire of a fan
- March 24, 2001. Randy Johnson kills a dove with a pitch
- May 8, 2001. Randy Johnson strikes out his 20th batter
- June 17, 2001. Tony Womack’s grand-slam on Father’s Day
- October 14, 2001. Tony Womack walk-off wins Game 5 of the NLDS
- November 4, 2001. Gonzo’s bloop walks off Game 7.
- September 2, 2002. Mark Grace pitches
- April 26, 2004. Richie Sexson homers off the scoreboard
- May 18, 2004. Randy Johnson completes our only perfect game
- October 4, 2007. Ted Lilly spikes his glove
- October 6, 2007. Sweeping the Cubs out of the NLDS in Wrigley
- August 7, 2010. Gonzo’s #20 becomes the first number retired by the D-backs
- September 27, 2011. Ryan Roberts’ extra-inning walk-off grand-slam
- September 4, 2017. J.D. Martinez’s fourth HR in Los Angeles
- October 4, 2017. Archie Bradley’s wild-card triple
I tried to embed the poll below, but it really didn’t work, so here is the poll link. There, they will be listed in random order, to avoid the bias of survey fatigue. I’m not sure how well this kind of drag-and-drop thing will work on a phone, so my thoughts are with mobile users in this difficult time. You do have to supply your SnakePit username, and I reserve the right to filter the results by legit users if we get any ballot-box stuffing, as with certain previous polls! I’ll start announcing the results next week, probably covering those outside the top ten en masse. I’ll then go through the rest, one at a time, until we reach the #1. I wonder what it’ll be? :)