Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte was ranked first overall on MLB Network’s annual Top 10 Second Basemen Right Now! program last night. Marte, who makes his debut on the countdown, finished one spot ahead of the New York Yankees’ D.J. LeMahieu. In addition to Marte, the Diamondbacks’ David Peralta was ranked ninth by Top 10 Left Fielders Right Now! on January 11.
On tonight’s countdown, MLB Network analyst and three-time Gold Glove second baseman Harold Reynolds said of Marte, “He had a phenomenal season, really did. He’s got to do it again. That’s the difference. To be the number one guy, you’ve better have some repeat in you and you better have a little bit more track record than one season. …He had a fantastic year last year and we’ll see if he can do it this year, that’s the difference. Can you repeat it?”
The complete ranking for MLB Network’s top-10 second basemen is:
- Ketel Marte, Arizona Diamondbacks
- DJ LeMahieu, New York Yankees
- José Altuve, Houston Astros
- Ozzie Albies, Atlanta Braves
- Brandon Lowe, Tampa Bay Rays
- Keston Hiura, Milwaukee Brewers
- Mike Moustakas, Cincinnati Reds
- Cavan Biggio, Toronto Blue Jays
- Kolten Wong, St. Louis Cardinals
- Luis Arraez, Minnesota Twins
Hosted by MLB Network’s Brian Kenny alongside MLB Network analysts, each Top 10 Right Now! ranking considers player performance over the last two seasons, with an emphasis on 2019. Offensive, defensive and Statcast metrics, plus expert analysis by the MLB Network research team, are also taken into account when determining each ranking.