As we enter the final weekend of the season, the field for the playoffs is just about set. The five from the National League are decided, with the only question which of the Cardinals or Brewers will be the NL Central champion, and which gets a wild-card. In the American League, the divisions are all locked up, but the A’s, Indians and Rays, are still battling it out for the two wild-card positions. [Oakland and Tampa appear to be close to certs, with Cleveland down at a 3.3% chance, going into play Friday] It’s time, therefore, to decide who we should be supporting, in the absence of the Diamondbacks.
Of course, there will be a certain element of anti-support here. I know many will be cheering for anyone but the Dodgers, even if that means you end up pulling for the original Evil Empire of the Yankees in the World Series. But for now, let’s go for support. At the bottom, you’ll find a link to a drag-and-drop poll, which will let you order the 11 teams still in contention in order of personal preference (best at the top, worst at the bottom). Once the playoff field is set, I’ll publish the rankings, and we can see where people’s interests are located this post-season.
For your convenience, here are the 11 teams in question, including all the Arizona-related personnel who have appeared for them this year (who may or may not be on the post-season roster, of course, or even on the team in question any more). Feel free to explain your choice in the comments!
- Astros: Zack Greinke, Will Harris, A.J. Hinch, Wade Miley
- Athletics: Jake Diekman, Chris Herrmann, Bob Melvin, Yusmeiro Petit, Fernando Rodney
- Braves: Ender Inciarte, John Ryan Murphy, Dansby Swanson, Touki Toussaint
- Brewers: Matt Albers, Chase Anderson, Jhoulys Chacin, Craig Counsell,
- Cardinals: Dominic Leone. Nobody else. Not at all. No, sirree... :)
- Dodgers: Kristopher Negron, A.J. Pollock
- Indians: Trevor Bauer, Tyler Clippard, Oliver Perez
- Nationals: Patrick Corbin, Adam Eaton, Jeremy Hellickson, Gerardo Parra, Fernando Rodney, Mike Rizzo, Max Scherzer, Tony Sipp [yes, there’s a reason we call Washington, “Phoenix West”!]
- Rays: Anthony Banda, Chaz Roe
- Twins: None
- Yankees: Jake Barrett, Didi Gregorius