|Jarrod Dyson - CF||Aaron Hicks - CF|
|Wilmer Flores - 2B||Aaron Judge - DH|
|Eduardo Escobar - 3B||Edwin Encarnacion - 1B|
|David Peralta - LF||Didi Gregorius - SS|
|Christian Walker - DH||Gleyber Torres - 2B|
|Jake Lamb - 1B||Gio Urshela - 3B|
|Nick Ahmed - SS||Cameron Maybin - RF|
|Alex Avila - C||Mike Tauchman - LF|
|Tim Locastro - RF||Austin Romine - C|
Based on today’s line-up, it does not appear that David Peralta, Jarrod Dyson or today’s starting pitcher Zack Greinke will be going anywhere. Though, of course, you never know... I’m not certain what the specifics rules are, with regard to trading a player during a game in which he is taking part. Or even during a rain delay, because the forecast for this contest gets a bit dicier as we move closer to the trade deadline at 1pm Arizona time. We’ll have to wait and see how that works out: I’m sure both teams will do what they can to get this one in. I just hope we don’t end up with Greinke going two innings, then a lengthy rain delay. Might make sense if that’s the forecast, to go with an opener like Godley?
Yesterday’s unexpected win gives Arizona the chance to go for a two-game sweep of the Yankees, which would salvage the road trip overall with a 3-3 split. It would also even their second-half record at 9-9, and give the D-backs a winning record in July (12-11). Though that’s still short of where they should be, when we plotted a road to 85 wins - according to that, they need to be at 10-8 in the second half, after this game. Personally, I think I’ve more or less written off any hopes of contention, until proven otherwise. We’ll see what trade deadline activity (or lack thereof) shows, about the opinion held by Mike Hazen and the Arizona front-office on this topic.
Torey Lovullo’s media briefing
- Caleb Joseph has fractured finger, still 2 weeks away from returning to play.
- Blake Swihart been playing in OF and getting at bats every day. Inconsistent playing time and position switch impacted him. Nice for him to get “baseball motor running again”
- Matt Andriese: Will throw one inning in the AZL today,
- Luke Weaver and Taijuan Walker back on throwing programs today
- Jon Duplantier: Back up and throwing every 5th day. Seems he had a rough outing last night but Torey hadn’t gotten report yet.
- Business as usual, Trade Deadline blocked out as best as can. But eager for deadline to be over. It’sa built-in distraction and can cause guys to get off path. It’s Torey’s job to keep them on point. Once it passes, feels the team will have a different mind set
- Mix and match on lineup. Marte scheduled rest. Walker DH, Lamb 1B. Just trying to get best matchups
- Great moment for Locastro to start today with many of his family and friends in stadium. He’s starting in RF, but his family all bought tickets in LF today. Oops!
- Stabilized rotation: Credit to player development. Last couple of turns 4 & 5 have been strong. Feel good about rotation now, couldn’t say that 3 weeks ago.