As we pause before getting under way for the second half of the schedule tomorrow in St. Louis, it seems a good point to take stock of the 2019 season so far. Arizona has a record of 46-45, which is probably a little better than most were expecting [In our pre-season poll, 62% of respondents had the D-backs finishing somewhere below 80 wins for the season] However, this presents GM Mike Hazen with a dilemma, in that the Diamondbacks are neither out of it entirely, nor solidly in contention. They’re only 1.5 games back of the second wild-card, but there are no fewer than eight NL teams within 2.5 games - and only two of those are going to make the playoffs.
So, for today’s off-day, let’s have an open thread. Possible topics for discussion include:
- What has gone well this season
- What hasn’t worked
- The success or failure of Hazen off-season moves
- Whether the team should be buyers or sellers
- What they should be buying or selling
- How things can go right in the second half
- The potential pitfalls for the team
- Who are our biggest rivals for a wild-card spot
- Do we have a closer problem? And if not Holland, then who?
- How do we handle the back of the rotation?
- Predict the World Series
These are just suggestions. Discuss any, all or entirely different topics.
How should the D-backs approach the trade deadline?
This poll is closed
Go all in!