Just the one threa4d today, since for most of these picks, information available is going to be scant or non-existent. This isn’t to say you should ignore them entirely. For as we reminded you yesterday, there are some good players who weren’t picked at the top of the draft order. For amusement, here’s a line-up constructed entirely of players both picked and signed by the D-backs, outside the first ten rounds.
- C: Robbie Hammock (23rd round, 2008)
- 1B: Lyle Overbay (18th, 1999)
- 2B: Dan Uggla (11th, 2001)
- SS: Junior Spivey (36th, 1996)
- 3B: Mark Reynolds (16th, 2004)
- LF: Rusty Ryal (14th, 2005)
- CF: Adam Eaton (19th, 2010)
- RF: Jason Conti (32nd, 1996)
- SP: Josh Collmenter (15th, 2007)
- RP: David Hernandez (34th, 2004)
That’s not a terrible line-up (okay, I had to move Spivey to the other side of the middle-infield, due to a lack of low-round shortstops above replacement level!). So you should pay at least a little bit of attention to these players, because one or two probably will end up making the big leagues at some point. As yesterday, you can follow along online, though MLB.com. We’ll update this story in batches of Arizona picks, as and when appropriate!