Arizona Diamondbacks reliever Archie Bradley ranked fifth on MLB Network’s annual “Top 10 Relief Pitchers Right Now! program” on Saturday. Teammate A.J. Pollock was ranked tenth on the Top 10 Center Fielders Right Now!, marking the final installment of the 10-part series. In addition to Bradley and Pollock, the Diamondbacks’ Paul Goldschmidt ranked third on Top 10 First Basemen Right Now! last week.
Bradley, who makes his debut on the countdown, finished one spot ahead of the Orioles’ Zach Britton and one spot behind the Yankees’ Chad Green. On Saturday’s countdown, MLB Network analyst and former three-time All-Star pitcher Dan Plesac said of Bradley, “You could make a case, other than Paul Goldschmidt, he might have been one of the more valuable players on that Diamondbacks run to get into the Postseason. …If you go into a big series, say if you’re the Diamondbacks on a Friday night, and you have a starter you’re hoping can get you through five or six innings – not a start from Zack Greinke – and you can unleash Archie Bradley in the 7th and the 8th inning and if he’s cruising, go ahead and let him pitch that 9th inning. He’s turned into a weapon.”
Top 10 Relief Pitchers Right Now!
- Kenley Jansen, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Andrew Miller, Cleveland Indians
- Craig Kimbrel, Boston Red Sox
- Chad Green, New York Yankees
- Archie Bradley, Arizona Diamondbacks
- Zach Britton, Baltimore Orioles
- Corey Knebel, Milwaukee Brewers
- Aroldis Chapman, New York Yankees
- Brad Hand, San Diego Padres
- Raisel Iglesias, Cincinnati Reds
Pollock, who ranked fifth on last year’s countdown, finished one spot behind the Mets’ Michael Conforto. Given he has managed only 124 over the last two season’s combined, I think it’s actually quite impressive he still managed to make the top 10 at all - testament to how good Pollock can be when healthy. With this being his contract year, I’m sure he’ll want to make a good impression, and it sure would be nice to have a full-strength Pollock patrolling center on an everyday basis. That’s something we’ve enjoyed only once in the last four seasons.
Top 10 Center Fielders Right Now!
- Mike Trout, Los Angeles Angels
- Tommy Pham, St. Louis Cardinals
- Charlie Blackmon, Colorado Rockies
- George Springer, Houston Astros
- Lorenzo Cain, Milwaukee Brewers
- Christian Yelich, Milwaukee Brewers
- Kevin Kiermaier, Tampa Bay Rays
- Chris Taylor, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Michael Conforto, New York Mets
- A.J. Pollock, Arizona Diamondbacks
MLB Network’s offseason rankings will continue this Wednesday with MLB Network’s Greg Amsinger, Ron Darling and Bill Ripken counting down the Top 100 Players Right Now! across six episodes on three consecutive nights. The series will culminate this Friday when Amsinger, Darling and Ripken will unveil the top-10 players on this year’s countdown. The show starts at 7pm Arizona time this Wednesday, with numbers 100-81, and #80-61 follow at 8pm. The schedule repeats on Thursday and Friday, with #60-21 and then the top twenty respectively. Where will Goldy rank?