Dates for your calendar
- Wednesday, February 14 - First workout for pitchers and catchers.
- Monday, February 19 - First full-squad workout.
- Wednesday, February 21 - Exhibition game against Arizona State University
- Friday, February 23 - Cactus League play starts vs. Colorado Rockies
This afternoon, the team have announced that there will be 51 players in camp, though the number may change between now and then. They consist of everyone on the 40-man roster (including some like Shelby Miller, who will clearly not be on the Opening Day team), plus 11 non-roster invitees.
- Right-handed pitchers (14): Jake Barrett (33), Brad Boxberger (31), Silvino Bracho (61), Archie Bradley (25), Randall Delgado (48), Zack Godley (52), Zack Greinke (21), Yoshihisa Hirano (66), Matt Koch (55), Shelby Miller (26), Jimmie Sherfy (54), Braden Shipley (34), Alberto Suárez (56) and Taijuan Walker (99).
- Left-handed pitchers (6): Anthony Banda (50), Andrew Chafin (40), Patrick Corbin (46), T.J. McFarland (30), Jared Miller (63) and Robbie Ray (38).
- Catchers (3): Chris Herrmann (10), Jeff Mathis (2) and John Ryan Murphy (36).
- Infielders (11): Nick Ahmed (13), Daniel Descalso (3), Brandon Drury (27), Paul Goldschmidt (44), Jake Lamb (22), Domingo Leyba (74), Ketel Marte (4), Chris Owings (16), Jack Reinheimer (76), Ildemaro Vargas (15) and Christian Walker (53).
- Outfielders (6): Sócrates Brito (19), Rey Fuentes (14), Jeremy Hazelbaker (41), David Peralta (6), A.J. Pollock (11) and Yasmany Tomás (24).
- Right-handed pitchers (4): Ryan Atkinson (73), Jake Buchanan (67), Taylor Clarke (72) and Joey Krehbiel (65).
- Left-handed pitchers (1): Yuhei Nakaushiro (64).
- Catchers (2): Michael Perez (75) and Josh Thole (9).
- Infielders (2): Kevin Cron (68) and Kristopher Negrón (45).
- Outfielders (2): Ramón Flores (70) and César Puello (71).
The NRI’s are always an interesting bunch, and should not be written off entirely in terms of seeing action this year. If you look at the equivalent players at the same point last season, of the 14 NRI’s, four (Rubby De La Rosa, J.J. Hoover, Kris Negron and Rey Fuentes) ended up playing for Arizona in 2017, some of them seeing quite a significant amount of action. We’ll take a closer look at the above 11 names, a little bit nearer the time everyone reports to Salt River Fields.