A light selection of entries for yesterday, and it only took two recs for Xerostomia to prevail [Sorry, posting a car pic - no matter how cool - does not qualify as an entry! If only it had been accompanied with “11 tail-pipes piping”, it might just have qualified...] His suggestion was:
11 Goldy Bobbleheads
with the explanation, “Because after trading away Segura, not signing Castillo, not having Zeigler, or Hudson, and having no starting pitcher worthy of one, maybe they should just have 11 different versions of Goldschmidt.” However, I’m not certain this is a route we want to follow, because it appears that bad luck has tended to follow those selected for bobblehead immortalization over the past couple of years. Putting ALL that on Paul Goldschmidt’s shoulders would seem to be asking for trouble. Here’s what happened to the personnel honored with a bobblehead by the Diamondbacks over the last three seasons.
- Patrick Corbin (Apr 26) - missed entire season with Tommy John surgery
- Gerardo Parra (May 17) - traded to the Brewers in July
- Martin Prado (June 7) - traded to the Yankees the following month
- Bob Brenly (Aug 30) - survived
- Paul Goldschmidt (Sep 13) - broke hand August 1, missed rest of year
- Hello Kitty (April 11) - website, 3 million accounts hacked later that year
- Josh Collmenter (May 9) - removed from rotation in June
- Tony La Russa (June 6) - survived 2015, demoted this season
- A.J. Pollock Star Wars (July 18) - survived, but missed most of 2016
- Randy Johnson Hall of Fame (July 25) - survived
- A.J. Pollock (April 23) - broke elbow pre-season, missed first 128 games
- Goldschmidt (July 2) - lowest OPS since 2012
- Zack Greinke (Aug. 6) - posted highest season ERA since 2005
- David Peralta (Sept. 17) - three DL stints, appeared in only 48 games
Yeah. Perhaps we need to start offering up sacrificial bobbleheads instead: for example, Dominic Leone might have been a good choice in the 2016 campaign.
On the twelfth day of Xmas, Ken Kendrick gave to me...
- ___________________________ [Twelve drummers drumming]
- Eleven Goldy Bobbleheads
- Ten Leaps of Faith in Prospects
- Nine Ladies Dancing
- Eight bad relievers
- Seven fans a'sitting
- Six months of torture
- Five division rings
- Four robot umps
- Three Miller wins
- Two Cuban projects
- And a catcher you can have for free!
As usual, throw your suggestions into the comments and/or rec the ideas you feel most deserving of praise. The last winner will be announced tomorrow, when we finally take down the Christmas decorations and put this to bed!