Record: 38-50. Pace: 70-92. Change on 2015: -4.
Beer 1: Something to help me forget this season of doom....which in this case is Tower Station IPA by Mother Road Brewing Co.
- Every beercap I write, every beer I drink during it and every random Papagoian distraction that harasses me through this writing brings me one step closer to the end of this nightmare of a season. I've supported entire major breweries and their corresponding distributors thanks to these beercaps, and the Dbacks have only given me frustration and killer hangovers the next day. Hurrah.
- Enough whining. It's game time! Segura highlights the madness of this year's team: turrible at home but very good away. For as I just started my above rant, Segura CRUSHES a homer to deep left on his first swing. God this team is made of frustration and contradictory madness. 1-0 Dbacks
- EdBiggHead is at the game today with his smaller clone of himself. He's promised me that he'd be gentle to the Giants fans while in the City by the Bay, but will instead crush ALL of their beers. Sacrifices must be made to appease the Ed.
- I just checked Goldy's and Lamb's OBP, thinking they'd be about the same, nope. Lamb is at .371 (good) Goldy is at .412 (Mother of God). Both are on in the 1st and the Shark is already at 24 pitches with Castillo just flying out to finally get to the second out of the inning. I'm sure Ed is pleased.
- Tomas. Frustrating at times to watch, but at others he gives us hope....kinda like this team used to. Still he manages to get Goldy home and we're now 2-0 as the first comes to a close. Not a bad way to start things off.
- Corbin, very much unlike Shark in the 1st, cruises through his frame 1-2-3. Were he only like that more often......sigh....
- Corbin though somehow excels at hitting, boosting his already heady average of .342 with a nice single. Followed by Segura who does a Segura things by getting on base......by getting hit. He seems very popular with pitchers of late.
- Goldy can't quite get the 2nd going like the first, but even gods such as he know pity from time to time. Still 2-0 going in to the bottom of the 2nd.
- Corbin becomes Corbin yet again as he allows a two run shot to right field. Now the games pretty much starts over at 2-2.......ugghhhhh.
Beer Mead 2 1: Nectar of the Hops by Redstone Meadery.
- You all thought I'd reach for another IPA didn't you? Wrong! Crushing your enemies, see them driven before you and hearing the lamentations of their women is cool and all, but mead is awesome.
- The bottom of the 3rd starts out much like the 2nd....wrong. Lead-off doubles usually lead to bad things and I dare Corbin to prove me wrong. I actually kind of need him to or I might hit a new beercap beer record if this game morphs in to a slugfest.
- Lamb, so much praise I've heaped upon thee, and this is what you do? Airmail a throw to Goldy that would have ended the inning but instead we're now in a 2-3 game and Corbin's wheels looked like they're coming unglued. Next beer please!!!!
- Yup, no more glue holding on those wheels. 2-4 as Corbin gives up a single. Good feelings rapidly going away. Beer luckily helps with that.
Beer 2 (for realzy): BooKoo IPA by Mother Earth
- Ahh yes, nothing like Vietnam reference beer name to get my mind going to flashbacks of the 2014 Dbacks. "No pitching, in the trees! Quallls on the wire!"
- The Dbacks 4th inning does nothing to improve my aforementioned mood as they go down 1-2-3. Still, in Goldy we trust.
- As myself and another Papagoian argue who's the Dark Lord, Dio or Ozzy, for the first time in seemingly forever Segura will not get on base. Goldy again forsakes us as our side of the 5th comes to an end. All good things in time I guess. Right?
- Another Papagoian, who is a ravenous Giants fan of slow wit, has sat down next to me. God help me.
- Just as that occurs, Corbin proceeds to load the bases in the bottom of the 5th. There may not be enough beer at Papago to satiate my thirst.....never mind Lamb kinda redeems himself getting the force out at home.
- Corbin follows up on this minor miracle by walking in a run 2-5 Giants. Papao Mikey "I was..pissed...off, at, the, beginning.?" Me "I wasn't"
Beer 3: Pinner Session IPA by Oskar Blues
- Well, bout time I had a beer to get me back to earth a bit. It's an IPA-lite at 4.9%, but with the same IPA flavor.
- Ugghhh break time to get back home
- Back home and now it's 2-6. Back home and I feel it's time to forget this game. Good night all
Bells and whistles, by Jim
[Click for details, at fangraphs.com]
Hope: Jean Segura, +4.8%
Doom: Patrick Corbin, -41.7%
Gloom: Castillo, -11.0%; Bourn, -10.0%
Not the result we wanted, but the result we got. The GDT was inevitably lackluster, ending up at just two hundred on the night. Can't say I blame anyone. SongBird led the way, ahead of Jackwriter and JoeCB1991. Also present: AzRattler, DbacKid, Diamondhacks, GuruB, Indedave, Jim McLennan, Makakilo, MichaelMcD831993, MrMrrbi, Oldenschoole, Sprankton, TucsonPete, Umbrella24, coldblueAZ, david.munter, hotclaws, noblevillain, onedotfive and piratedan7. One Sedona Red comment, and it was the first one of the night, from hotclaws. It seems strangely appropriate, in light of what followed:
We will reconvene tomorrow night, as the same two teams face off. Robbie Ray starts for the D-backs, with a 1:05pm first pitch.
Ideally, the umpire should combine the integrity of a Supreme Court judge, the physical agility of an acrobat, the endurance of Job and the imperturbability of Buddha. ~"The Villains in Blue," Time magazine, 25 August 1961