Record: 17-21. Pace: 72-90. Change on 2015: 0.
Beer 1: Double Bastard in the Rye by Stone Brewing Co.
- After starting out the last few beercaps a little light I decided to buy a huge steak to grill and some huge beers to drink. Despite it being the 13th I will make tonight a good night!!! Regrettably this beer has been in the Whole Foods fridge for a while so much of the hop character is gone. Still tastes excellent, but just not as it's creator intended.
- Got on a little late today, but here I am and in the top of the 2nd it's still 0-0. Hopefully good Miller is good on this sppooooookkkyy Friday the 13th...
- The Shark is pitching, how appropriate considering the countless sharkbased films that have, or should have, come out on Friday the 13th.
- Segura. So shiny. So chrome. No one, and I dare anyone on this blog to say otherwise, thought he was going to be this good. He grounds out to end the 2nd, but I'll be dammed if he hasn't been a spectacular surprise thus far thus season.
- He redeems himself helping turn a double play to end the top of the 3rd. Segura has really been one heck of a pick-up. Huzzah!!!
- Goldy, why hath he forsaken us? What must we do to atone for our sins? Please Goldy, heed our prayers!!!! Another K for Goldy. It's got me (and every other fan) wondering just what is wrong. Still 0-0 going into the 4th.
- Miller still drives me mildly insane, but another double play puts my mind at ease.....just like those poor bastards on the Nostromo before the alien got them....Haha! JK! Still 0-0 going into the bottom frame of the 4th.
"I wonder where that offense could be....."
Beer 2: Julio Rye IPA by Iron John's
- First time beer and first time brewery for me. Never heard of these guys until Boston Mark of Papago, through his thick Boston accent, informed me of this excellent "bee-uh". Well, it's a solid "bee-uh" and actually maybe more than that. Though for a rye IPA I was expecting more of a rye spice.
- The Shark still gets through another inning as he, mostly, cruises through the 4th. Gotta wonder if our Dbacks realize we're playing at home again a division foe.
- Miller also gets through another inning. That's all I'll say. Too scared to potentially jinx him.
- He obviously heard my whispers of caution, because Shelby just CRUSHED that pitch to deep center to lead off the inning with a very improbably triple.
- Segura, just keeps being Segura and gets another RBI. Were it not for him Goldy's absence in this young season would be far more pronounced. 1-0 Dbacks.
- Miller's armor appears to be flaking off in the 6th with two men on and no outs. Good feeling rapidly disappearing....
- Well...time to "PaniK". Three run bomb by the aforementioned batter and all good feeling for this game are gone. Nice....praise be to beer! 1-3 Giants
Beer 3: Hand Shake IPA by Green Flash
- The one year anniversary collaberative beer since Green Flash bought Alpine Beer Co. Many beer geeks hate on the recent trend of big breweries buying up smaller ones. They forget that this is not the 1900's with Robber Barons buying up companies after price gouging them. No, big breweries now see how successful many smaller operatations are and they want to ride that gravy train. Buying those smaller operations up at worst just open up those smaller breweries to a vast amount of raw materials.
- Still 1-3 in the top of the 8th and Delgado, who's been so great this season (HEAVY SARCASM), is up and has now has two men on with no outs. Wow, no one saw that coming (SARCASM SO HEAVY EVEN NEUTRON STARS SEEM LIGHT BY COMPARISON)
- By the grace of Buddha, Delgado some how gets out of that train wreck of an inning. PRAISE BE!!!!
- Lord Goldy though still has lakes of spite built up for us. Why else would he again in the 8th not produce an RBI? What must we do as fans to redeem ourselves?!?!!?
- Well. It's the bottom of the 9th and I'm running out of beer. For some reason this team's kryptonite is playing at Home. Ughh
- Yup. game over. Friday the 13th lives up to it's overhyped name.
Bells and whistles, by Jim
asteroid just led the comments race, ahead of GuruB and Jackwriter, but it was a close-run thing, with only seven comments separating first and fifth. Other present were: BigSmarty, Chelsea75, I suppose I'm a Pessimist, Jim McLennan, JoeCB1991, JoelPre, Makakilo, MichaelMcD831993, MrMrrbi, SongBird, Sprankton, Xerostomia, cardinalshuffle, coldblueAZ, hotclaws, imstillhungry95, luckycc, makattack71 and shoewizard. Just the one Sedona Red comment, which goes to BigSmarty, for their reply to the suggestion that it would be funny if we failed to score in Miller's best start.
I'd laugh, if I weren't so busy sobbing into my beer. [Pabst Blue Ribbon, natch...] We'll hope for better over the weekend, and I'm still hopeful of a split. Tomorrow should certainly see the D-backs with an edge, as Patric Corbin faces the woeful Jake Peavy.