The 12th annual Subway D-backs Fan Fest will take place on Saturday, February 20 at Chase Field - the event runs from noon to four pm, with early entry at 11 for season ticket holders and D-backs Give Back Jersey program participants. The first three thousand fans through the gates will receive a Subway cash card worth a random amount, ranging from $1-$100. Last year's event drew a crowd estimated at around 25,000 to Chase - considering that we were, at the time, the worst team in the majors, I'd be expecting more in 2016, considering we signed the biggest free-agent contract of the winter.
Expect much the same range of events and features as in previous years, virtually everyone on the roster will likely be present, for both autograph sessions and photo opportunities. There's also be a program of panel discussions, in which players, coaches and front-office staff will talk about the winter's moves and the upcoming season. Other highlights include
- D-backs home clubhouse tours
- Fans can hit in the batting cages
- Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation Yard Sale
- Race Against Cancer registration
- D-backs Team Shop, presented by Majestic
- D-backs Authentics featuring game-used memorabilia
- @Dbacks Social Media Zone
- Live music by The Walkens
- Family Fun Zone featuring speed pitch, T-ball and other interactive inflatables
- Wiffle ball fields featuring D-backs players, coaches and staff from the D-backs Baseball Academy, presented by Phoenix Children’s Hospital
- Live Sports broadcast on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM and La Mejor 1400 AM throughout the day
- FOX Sports Arizona and Sanderson Ford KidKaster auditions
- Sanderson Ford Cronista Infantil D-backs Spanish broadcast auditions for La Mejor 1400 AM
- Kids’ activity area, including face painting, airbrush tattoos and balloon artists courtesy of Banana Boat ® sunscreens
- Receive information about National Anthem, Rally-backs, Golden Glovers and D-backs Legends Racers tryouts
Fans can register for text alerts leading up to the event by texting FANFEST to 76925, and get additional information regarding the Fan Fest at dbacks.com/fanfest or by calling 602.462.FEST (3378).
Meanwhile, the team will host its fourth annual D-backs Race Against Cancer, presented by University of Arizona Cancer Center at Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center, on Sunday, April 10 with proceeds going to the team's foundation. Participants in the 5K/1 mile walk through the streets of downtown Phoenix will end in a lap around the outfield wall at Chase Field prior to the game against the Cubs that afternoon.
The 5K begins at 7:15 a.m - yeah, a little too early to get me out of bed on a Sunday... by about four hours! - and the 1-Mile Banana Boat Family Fun Walk will start at 8:30 a.m. at Chase Field. Each participant gets an exclusive D-backs racing shirt, finisher medal, D-backs drawstring bag and a ticket for a future D-backs game. Early registration (through April 2) is $40 for the 5K and $20 for the 1-Mile. After that, each goes up by 10 bucks. Registration for kids 12 and under in the 1-Mile Banana Boat Family Fun Walk is only $5.
The race was developed to become a voice for all D-backs fans that have been affected by cancer. Proceeds from the race get distributed to Arizona non-profits that provide screening, treatment and support for those dealing with cancer, and there will also be a health and wellness expo where participants can learn more about cancer research, screening, treatment and support.