Record: 59-82. Pace: 68-94. Change on 2013/2010: -13/+2.
Now that we've hit rock bottom let the rebuilding begin.
Beer 1: Hop Box Imperial IPA by Joseph James
- Just drove up to Flagstaff (Munds Park to be exact), so my beer isn't cold. The warm joy of a KT-less Dbacks though helps make up for that.
- Season is still a disaster, but I at least have some hope that LaRussa will get the right people in place to bring the Dbacks back to glory. Though that glory may be years in the making.
- Game review will be a bit spotty thanks to dinner being prepared at this moment by mom. Love mom, but her cooking can be.......adventurous.
- The Dodgers. Really pisses me off to think that only 3 short years ago the Dbacks had a wealth of young talent and all the hope in the world, while the Doyers seemed destined to sink with their craptastic ownership. Times have changed. Sigh
- Puig vs. Nuno. Dodgers seemed to have won big with Puig, whereas the jury is still out on Nuno. Maybe, just maybe we'll win on a KT trade.........and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.
- Just realized that Owings and Pollack are back. More shades of 2015 hope? I can only hope, and they certainly could pave the way toward a bright future.
- Hope in the bottom of the 1st appears to be waning though as 2 outs with no one on turns into bases loaded.
- Nuno thankfully get's out of the jam. 0-0 after the 1st
Cider = Yummmmm
Beer(ish) 2: Sour Cherry Cider (Cellar Series) by Woodchuck Cider
- Not a beer, but I decided to shake things up a bit with a cider. Really refreshing and the cherry flavor is very fresh. Love it, especially since it's not too sour.
- Well I missed a couple innings during dinner, but my phone says the Dodgers got one run in both the 2nd and 3rd innings. Our offense still nowhere to be seen. 0-2 Dodgers going into the bottom of the 4th.
- Offense suddenly shows up in the 5th as Lamb gets a double putting Pollock on 3rd with no outs.
- Greglorious does his job and gets us on the board with a sac fly and Puig doesn't believe in the relay man. 1-2 with Lamb on 3rd and one out.
- Well, Inciarte had one hell of a weird at bat. One awkward false start to first and then barely holds up his swing the next pitch to get on. Hilarious.
Gone elk hunting twice and no luck just yet...........
Beer 3: Modus Hopperandi IPA by Ska Brewing
- Yes, I have written of this before and yes it's awesome.
- Took a cigar break with my dad so I missed quite a bit. The elk should be bugling soon, but alas even in the forest as we kinda are (Munds Park, AZ) we could hear nothing.
- In my tobacco fueled absence I missed more innings with no offense, but I also missed Nuno settling down and retiring 12 straight batters. Hopefully he'll carry over this good pitching into 2015
- Another KT product, Cody Ross, crushes out our second to last chance with Owings on base. Such a fine pick up that Ross...... 2-1 Dodgers going into the bottom of the 8th.
- What's this?!?!? I doth hear an elk bugling in the distance. If you've never heard the sound please YouTube; it's both beautiful and haunting at the same time.
- Going into the 9th and we are still in it....oh wait. No. not in it.
- In closing I've covered another losing effort. Maybe I should stop doing these articles........
Beers and whistles [by Jim]
[Click to enlarge, at fangraphs.com]
Glinda the Good Witch: Jake Lamb, +11.7%
Wicked Witch of the West: Miguel Montero, -11.5%
An even 200 comments for the game, led by Paulnh, ahead of DbacksSkins and preston.salisbury. Also present for the first game of the post-Towers era were: Alfred E. Neuman, Angry_Saguaro, Diamondhacks, GuruB, Jim McLennan, JoeCB1991, Makakilo, MrMrrbi, SongBird, hotclaws, and onedotfive. Looks like those beautiful twin sisters Hope and Change may not quite be arriving yet... Just the one Sedona Red comment, from DbacksSkins in response to an assertion that the 2014 D-backs are like a pair of comfortable yet worn-out shoes.
We will reconvene tomorrow night, for a 6:10pm first pitch, to watch Chase Anderson take on Hyun-Jin Ryu in the second game of this series. Maybe we'll score more than once. Maybe we won't....
you traded a pair of much nicer and better shoes for them so you don’t have much choice
Kevin Towers strategy: Fish every year, never cut bait for the future.