Recap (such as there is)
- [AP] Trumbo homers, Diamondbacks beat Brewers in rain - ''Being one of the last guys to throw, you get excited,'' Cahill said. ''You can't get prepared throwing batting practice and simulated games... 'My curveball was working and I was able to throw a strike when I needed to, which is a good sign."
- [AZ Central] Putz’s future with Arizona Diamondbacks unclear after 2014 - When discussing Reed last week, Diamondbacks General Manager Kevin Towers didn’t sound like Putz was in his plans beyond 2014. "We only have J.J. for one more year," Towers said. "We’re going to need somebody at the back end for the next four to five years." "I’m just going to enjoy this year and kind of re-evaluate how I feel at the end and talk with my wife and see what the future holds," Putz said. "I think I want to keep playing. I’m pretty sure."
- [dbacks.com] Gosewisch injury opens backup catcher battle - Tuffy Gosewisch has been out with a calf injury, which could impact the battle for the D-backs' backup catching spot. General manager Kevin Towers said that non-roster invites Bobby Wilson and Blake Lalli have played their way into the conversation. "I think Bobby Wilson, he's got experience at the big league level," Towers said. "He's probably going to get a little more playing time now... It's pretty much open for that backup spot."
- [FOX Sports] Hernandez embraces fresh start after rough 2013 - "Being able to get certain things corrected just as far as pitching goes, I had some things I needed to correct, and I was able to do that in Triple-A without having the pressure," Hernandez said." I think that helped me... I'd say it was a complete 180. Going down and just being able to be myself and just have fun again was I think what it came down to."
- [Jays Journal] Could Diamondbacks and Blue Jays Be Possible Trade Partners? - "So, the Arizona Diamondbacks are open to trading a shortstop? Could the Toronto Blue Jays swing something to obtain Chris Owings or Didi Gregorius to fill their hole at second base?"
- [AZ Central] Diamondbacks hitting coach Turner Ward wins over team - "I talk about trying to beat the pitcher with your mind," Ward said. "They can never beat you with your mind. Don’t let him that edge. That’s just a big part, the mental part, because this game can break you down and tear you down and chew you up."
- [MLB.com] MLBAM introduces new way to analyze every play - Damn. this could be epic. "Major League Baseball Advanced Media on Saturday introduced a revolutionary plan for in-ballpark infrastructure designed to provide the first complete and reliable measurement of every play on the field and answer previously unanswerable analytics questions... For instance, on a brilliant, game-saving diving catch by an outfielder, this new system will let us understand what created that outcome. Was it the quickness of his first step, his acceleration? Was it his initial positioning?"
- [Pitcher Gifs] Every Pitch In Masahiro Tanaka’s First Spring Training Start - Masahiro Tanaka made his US debut for the Yankees, throwing two innings in a spring training game. Here are GIFs of every pitch, should you care.Damn, that splitter (3.1) is nasty.
- Elsewhere in spring training, game of the day was also in the Grapefruit League, where the Braves and Nationals were scoreless after three... and Washington were 16-15 up four innings later, as Atlanta had a nine-run fifth and still lost, blowing a 14-6 lead. The last three innings were then scoreless too. The sides combined for 31 runs, 37 hits, 14 walks and six errors. Line of the day goes to the Braves' Obispo: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 1 K.