- "When injured, Trumbo made comments that reflect his winning attitude. " - Makakilo
- "The lineup is better with him than without him" - GuruB
- "He was every bit as bad at getting on base as expected, and probably would have struggled to reach 30 home runs, even with a full season." - preston.salisbury
- "...as the season unfolded it became evident that Trumbo was not going to be the valuable addition to the roster I had hoped for." - coldblueAZ
- "And Trumbo's .293 [obp] not offering much protection for anyone." - xmet
- "He’s brittle with his feet problems. He’s a liability in the outfield. This guy is another KT hangover." - ford.williams.10
- "Trumbo’s offensive projections still indicate he should be the team’s second most productive hitter next year. If he can avoid being a stumbling, bumbling player in the field he might even get back to being about a 2 WAR player." - shoewizard
- "I think if he is healthy he should put up 30+ HRs this season…for another team though :) He should be playing 1B or DH." - fsudude
- "One of my concerns is that if he has so much potential as a hitter, why aren't AL teams in need of a 1B or DH making offers that would be hard to refuse?" - xmet
Comment of the Thread
Y'all had way lower expectations than I did, I guess.
I sort of expected that, if the team traded their one of their best pitching prospects and a starting-caliber CF for a guy in a win now move, that he would at least contribute positively to winning now. Nope. That -1.3 fWAR is the second-worst total by any Diamondback position player since 2006. Shouts to 2013 Jason Kubel, though.
I wasn’t expecting it, either. He’d put up 2.1, 2.3, and 2.5 fWAR during his first three full seasons. He wasn’t just worse than he’d been in Anaheim, he went from being basically average to one of the very worst players in baseball essentially overnight. There are a lot of reasons for that, since he was injured and the season spun out of control and all that. But I don’t see how you can give him anything other than a 1, given just his performance last year relative to expectations.