What? No game yesterday? How am I supposed to come up with a list of interesting links and quotes without that? Let's see...
- [MLB.com] Backup no longer, Nieves proving invaluable - "I think I'm a better player now than I was before, especially as a backup," Nieves said. "I understand my role and I don't try to do too much, I don't try to prove to everybody that I'm a regular catcher. I believe I can be an everyday catcher, but I don't need to prove it to anyone. So now I don't worry about the results, I just worry about having good at-bats."
- [ArizonaSports] Derrick Hall weighs in on instant replay changes - "As I've said all along, I think if you have the technology, why not use it to get the calls right?" Hall said. "There's no reason why fans sitting at home watching on TV, or in our suites or with their handhelds can watch the replay and decide whether the call was right or wrong yet the umpires don't have that ability."
- [dbacks.com] D-backs to host Throwback Night featuring 2nd annual Alumni Game - It'll take place on Aug. 31 at Chase Field. As before, the current D-backs team will wear "throwback" jerseys that feature the team's former purple, black and teal colors, during their game vs. the Giants at 5:10 p.m. Shortly after the game, D-backs alumni including Luis Gonzalez, Matt Williams, Augie Ojeda, Travis Lee, Reggie Sanders and Steve Finley will take the field to play a three-inning game.
- [AZCentral] Showalter done with expansions - "It was the most challenging time in my life, professionally," he said before Wednesday’s series finale. "If someone calls and says, ‘Hey, we’re going to have an expansion team next year, we want you to be a part of that process,’ I’d say, ‘Nah. I’ll pass'. "I loved it. It was great. But I wouldn’t give anything to do it again because it almost killed all of us."
Mark Reynolds has signed with the New York Yankees, general manager Brian Cashman said Thursday. After a great start to the season, Reynolds fell apart: he managed to hit below half of the Uecker Line in July, batting .098 for the month, and is down to a .680 OPS for the year. He's expected to platoon at first-base with another former Diamondback, Lyle Overbay, though reports say he'll also play third-base. Er... Anyone going to tell the Yankees about that? Thought not.
- Calling the Dodgers! Looking for a left-handed reliever? I'm here to let you know that Mike Zagurski opted out of his minor-league contract with the Yankees and is now available as a free-agent. Zagurski had a 2.66 ERA in 47.1 innings with their AAA affiliate, so I'm sure he'd be able to help you guys out down the stre... Hey, wait! Where are you going?
- Emilio Bonifacio was traded to the Royals from the Blue Jays, for a player to be named later. I know what you're thinking right now: no, that was Alberto Callaspo. Bonifacio was a speedy, no-hit guy who had a good season with the Marlins in 2011, hitting .296 with 40 SB. but has mustered a total of 3.5 bWAR over 570 games in the majors.
- [MLB.com] - Selig mulls action with Tampa Bay Rays stadium talks 'stalled' - Commissioner Bud Selig, speaking to reporters on Wednesday at the quarterly Owners Meetings, said he is considering assigning someone from his office to become directly involved with what he called the "stalled" negotiations to build a new ballpark for the Tampa Bay Rays.
- [USA today] Time to rethink baseball's postseason format? - St. Louis Cardinals ace Adam Wainwright could end up on the second-best team in the major leagues this season but — with his team battling the Pittsburgh Pirates to win the National League Central — could be on a division runner-up.
- Remember one of these infield home-runs against us a few seasons back?
- And in contrast, 18 minutes of extremely long home-runs. Bombs away!