[AZCentral] Diamondbacks willing to part with pitcher Tyler Skaggs? - "The most alarming development is Skaggs’ diminished velocity, a dropoff that has been more than a year in the making." While not perhaps terminal, it's a worrying trend to be sure.
[BaseballAmerica] 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks Top 10 Prospects - As mentioned by AJV19 in a recent Fanshot. To no great surprise, Archie Bradley, Braden Shipley and Chris Owings lead the list, with a note that Holmberg would have been #7.
- [FSAZ] D-backs' new pitching coach Harkey, Gibson have history - "The first time Mike Harkey faced Kirk Gibson, back in 1990, Harkey got Gibson to roll over on a changeup and ground out to second base. Harkey knew it was a good pitch because Gibson cursed him out on the way to first base for not challenging him with a fastball."
- [Venom Strikes] Proposed Trade For Cespedes? - Christian looks at the deal floated with Oakland. Bunus points for, "I look at Cespedes as a better, less bratty version of Yasiel Puig. Both players virtually came out of nowhere and became big stars. Cespedes just did it by ruffling less feathers."
- [AZCentral] Deal to come between Hudson, Diamondbacks? - "I’m a guy coming off two Tommy John surgeries; I understand their side of it," he said. "We’re still talking. It’s not like there’s any animosity because the deadline came and went. I still want to stay here, still enjoy the organization and still want to be here the rest of my career, if that’s possible."
- [NashuaTelegraph[ Former Silver Knights ace is first FCBL player to sign with MLB organization - Nice story. "Eric Perrault certainly has a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving weekend. A year ago this time, the former Nashua Silver Knights pitcher was recovering from Tommy John surgery, uncertain of his baseball future. Perrault, recently inked a minor league deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks. He’ll report to spring training in Scottsdale right around March 1."
- [InsideTheZone] So Towers Wants an Ace, Huh? - "For all of the talk about aces, don’t be upset if you don’t see one come the Diamondbacks’ way. In fact, it’s probably in their best interest to stick with a combination of Samardzija and Bradley rather than mortgaging the farm for David Price, whom they’ll have to let walk after two years."
D-backs related news
- Former Diamondbacks bid farewell
You all are amazing!!! My family and I are so thankful for the opportunity to play in The valley for the last 3 years! We had a blast!— Willie Bloomquist (@williebloom) December 5, 2013
Thanks Dbacks fans for all of your support.. I'm leaving with lots of great memories... God bless and good luck next year #GoDbacks— Wil Nieves (@WilNieves27) December 5, 2013
- [Bleed Cubbie Blue] Cubs Name Eric Hinske As First Base Coach - another former Diamondback hangs up his cleats - or, at least, makes the transition to the other side of the dugout on Chicago.
- [NYTimes] For the First Time, a Former Player Will Lead the Baseball Players’ Union - Former D-backs first baseman Tony Clark, was on Tuesday named to succeed Michael Weiner, who died last month, as the union's executive director.
- [Tampa Bay Business Journal] Brewers not ruling out a spring training move to Florida - Oh, look. Another Cactus League team apparently preparing to "leave", in what's more likely a shake down of their local landlords for finance on a new park. [See Cubs, Mesa]
Not D-backs related news
- [MLB] MLB, NPBaseball nearing agreement on $20 million posting limit - Interesting, looks like no more highest-bidder postings for the right to negotiates Japanese players. The amount looks likely to be capped at $20 million, but it's not yet clear what would happen in the event of a tie.
- [India Today] A 'Home Run' for Baseball in India - after last week's Afghanistan baseball piece, here's another initiative, looking to boost the sport in South Asia.
- [BaseballNation] About that "Is he a first-ballot Hall of Famer?" question - Should we even be asking the question?
- [Deadspin] Who Should Be In The Baseball Hall Of Fame? Vote Now! - I wish I was in the BBWAA. I sure could use the extra cash, just before Christmas...
The Reno Aces got into a bit of a Twitter fight with another PCL club.
.@aces River Cats are aquatically inclined felines with extremely flexible necks, developed from looking down at Reno in the standings.— River Cats (@RiverCats) December 4, 2013
Owned. Lesson learned...
Things we learned this week: 2) If you want info on made-up animals, don’t ask Twitter… try the Mythology Wiki: http://t.co/K8axRVpBUt— Reno Aces (@Aces) December 5, 2013