Let's start with the last chance to see professional baseball in America this year. Take advantage of this folks, it'll be more than three months till the next game. You too can cheer on the Salt River Wheelers! And with another D-backs prospect taking the mound for them as well.
[MLB.com] Salt River pitcher Charles Brewer aims to stifle Surprise in Arizona Fall League title game - "They might have the most impressive offense in the league in terms of numbers," Brewer said. "One through nine, there's not an easy out in the lineup. It's important for me to change speeds from the get-go in that game. I think I should be fine and put up a quality start for my team." The game is on MLB Network and streaming at mlb.com, starting at 1pm (AZ time) today. Feel free to treat this as the Gameday Thread.
- [dbacks.com] Towers confirms D-backs' interest in Hiroki Kuroda - Also interesting to read Upton won't be on the block. "I have zero interest in moving him now that I know him," Towers said.
- [AZCentral] The 2012 payroll post; what they can afford; & other stuff - "If the team is going to go after a relatively big name starting pitcher they’ll almost certainly need to non-tender Saunders to create the flexibility necessary.// If they are able to slightly increase their payroll from last year, they’d maybe be able to afford a pitcher for about $10 million."
- [dbacks.com] Kennedy happy with Cy Young finish - "It would have been awesome to win, but you realize that there are other guys that are more deserving or just as deserving," Kennedy said. "To me, it's just great to be mentioned." Hang on, didn't I say something like that?
- [AZCentral] Talks with Miguel Montero at standstill - "When it comes to a long-term contract, interest is mutual between the Diamondbacks and catcher Miguel Montero. The question seems to be about the length of the term."
- [FanGraphs] Paul Goldschmidt’s Glowing Projections - "If Goldschmidt hits to his wOBA projection, then I greatly undersold his overall hitting ability and he’s on the cusp of becoming one of the top-25 hitters in terms of wOBA in all of baseball based on final 2011 leaderboards."
- [MLB.com] Hall home following surgery to remove prostate - "When I made the decision to have surgery, I heard from a lot of anonymous sources nationally, questioning why I had opted for surgery so soon," Hall said. "The volume of cancer was so much higher than originally diagnosed that I definitely made the right decision."
- [dbacks.com] Gibson named NL Manager of the Year - "I'm honored to be named Manager of the Year, and I accept it humbly," Gibson said. "It's certainly an accomplishment, but as I sit here today after I was informed, I just think of all the people who made it possible for me. Though I accept the award today, it's just a great tribute to a great organizational effort."
- [FoxSportsArizona] Towers won't get award but deserves credit - "Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers finished third in major league executive of the year balloting conducted by The Sporting News and released at the GM meetings in Milwaukee earlier this week, but it says here Towers should have won."
- [AZCentral] Meetings wrapup: Kendrick's words of caution - "The reality of the game and the economics of it really dictate how you should move forward. I think we plan to really husband our good prospects. We have a number of them, thankfully."
- [AZCentral] Towers, Byrnes have no animosity despite situation - "I happened to be in first class and he wasn't," Towers recalled. "He said, 'Let's make the first trade between our clubs. I'll take your seat and you take mine.' I said, 'No, I've got a no-trade provision on this one.' "
- [ESPN] Players, owners reach handshake deal on labor contract, sources say - "Baseball's labor negotiators have reached a "handshake agreement" on all major issues, and the sport's new five-year collective bargaining agreement is likely to be announced Tuesday, sources told ESPN.com Friday." Let's all laugh and point at the NBA, shall we?
- [SI.com] How Astros move to AL impacts interleague, playoffs and rivalries - Good job it wasn't us.
- [FoxSportsArizona] Kidnapping has D-backs rethinking Venezuela "It's always been a concern in winter ball," said Kevin Towers. "I'm sure because of what happened, everybody is on red alert. "We've talked internally about even pulling our players and bringing them back based on what is going on right now, for their safety."
- [MiLB.com] 2011 MiLB Awards - Play of the Year - Some great, amusing or downright weird plays from the minors this year. The page also takes you to the awards for the best moments, promos and games.
- [MLB.com] Pirates outfielder involved in identity hoax with Australian Baseball League - Xavier Paul's participation was promised by another player, determined to be Minor League outfielder Breland Brown, who most recently played in the D-backs' farm system. One source described the scheme as so intricate that it was "like a movie,"