This is Pat's role. I'm just filling in for Pat. He earned it, he deserved it and it stinks what happened to him. It stinks for our team, it stinks for him for him as an individual, but he's a strong guy -- he'll be able to overcome this and hopefully next year be back where he belongs to be.
I didn't know anything about trade rumors. I don't really go look up that stuff. I don't really care. It's not in my hands. It's in the GM's hands. I don't have to worry about that.
Addison Reed will pitch the ninth; Martin Prado, cleanup hitter; shortstop rumors | azcentral.com
- We have news on the closer's front, and it's probably not much of a surprise: Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson will use right-hander Addison Reed in the 9th.
- Unlike the closer's role, the Diamondbacks' shortstop situation hasn't been quite as clear cut this spring. Coming into camp, it felt like Chris Owings was odds-on favorite over Didi Gregorius based on his offensive potential and his 2013 performance, both with Triple-A Reno and in the majors.
- Another piece of news today courtesy of Gibson: Martin Prado will be his cleanup hitter. Or, knowing Gibson's penchant for tweaking the lineup, he'll be his cleanup hitter on Saturday. (NICK PIECORO)
Matt Tuiasosopo claimed off waivers by Blue Jays | ArizonaSports.com
After fighting for a spot on the 25-man roster and backup outfielder/infielder, Matt Tuiasosopo was claimed by the Blue Jays. It'll be interesting to see if the D-backs make another move as this opens a spot on their 40-man roster.
Gregorius shrugs off trade rumors; Goldschmidt at the Taronga Zoo; Gibby keeps lineup secret, safe | dbacks.com
- D-backs shortstop Didi Gregorius, preparing for the Opening Series against the Dodgers in Australia, isn't concerned with reports stating he's being made available in trade discussions.
- D-backs first baseman Paul Goldschmidt and a host of front-office executives visited the Taronga Zoo on Thursday prior to the team's workout.
- It sounds like while the D-backs' lineup for the first game of the Opening Series on Saturday is still a work in progress, a few spots are locked in.
Wade Miley takes over for Patrick Corbin as Opening Day starter | dbacks.com
Wade Miley is not going to celebrate something that came at the expense of a friend, but with Patrick Corbin all but certainly lost for the season, the left-hander will fill in as Arizona's Opening Day starter in Australia.
D-backs' Derrick Hall: Shortstop depth could allow team to deal for pitcher | ArizonaSports.com
"We think (Ahmed) is the best shortstop in our system and K.T. will tell you he's the best shortstop defensively he's ever seen," Hall said. "So knowing that you have that in your system, it gives you a little more freedom and liberty to be able to move one of those guys if you have to."
Eric Chavez reignites career through passion for helping others | azcentral.com
Staring down his own baseball mortality, Chavez had begun to plan for what's next. If he couldn't play the game he loved, he knew he wanted to better the lives and careers of those who could. This is why he had recently created the Eric Chavez Baseball company.
Around the MLB
#Reds LHP Aroldis Chapman to have surgery today to repair fracture above left eye, out 6-8 weeks.— MLB (@MLB) March 20, 2014
Expecting fancy graphics with R.B.I Baseball '14? Don't | rbigame.com
New screenshots from the game came out today and they certainly aren't going to impress anyone.
Dodgers PR Boss Says MLB.com Writers Spin News The Way Teams Want | deadspin.com
Speaking at a PR conference in Sydney, Australia--where he may not have expected word to get back to the States--Dodgers Public Relations Director Joe Jareck had some interesting things to say about how the team likes to disseminate its news. #RealDodgerComplaints