Jun. 18, 2012; Phoenix, AZ, USA; Arizona Diamondbacks infielder Aaron Hill (2) is congratulated by teammates after scoring during the game against the Seattle Mariners during the third inning at Chase Field. The Diamondbacks defeated the Mariners 7-1. Mandatory Credit: Jennifer Stewart-US PRESSWIRE
- [AZCentral] Hill's cycle leads Diamondbacks past Mariners - "When you score three runs in the first like we did, it relaxes you, too," Gibson added. "We've been pressing for runs so it was a good way to start." The three runs in the first snapped Arizona's scoreless streak at 21 innings, which tied for the third-longest in club history.
- ]MLB.com] Hill's cycle backs Miley as D-backs top Mariners - Miley tried to contribute on the bases as well. He doubled in the second inning, but was thrown out trying to stretch it into a triple. The play elicited plenty of laughs in the D-backs dugout. "You can't help but smile. The guy busted his tail," Gibson said. "Every other pitcher on the staff would've pulled up, but it was Wade was being Wade."
- [AP] Hill's cycle sends D-backs past Seattle 7-1 - ''I felt like I was throwing ball after ball, kind of battling it a little bit,'' Miley said. ''But I stuck with the game plan and battled through it.''
- [FSAZ] Drew may play reduced role returning from DL - "Stephen, when he comes back, I don't think he would come back as an everyday guy. He would have to be worked in and out of the lineup," Gibson said. "I told him a while ago, even if he could come back and we could play him every third day but he was available off the bench, I think he would still be an asset to the team. I think he is getting closer to that."
- [dbacks.com] Kubel gladly returns to regular routine - The DH position had the opposite effect. "This last week has been the most sore I've been all year, as weird as it sounds," Kubel said. "You just don't stay loose. It happens every now and then, there are just some sudden movements and sprints here and there that don't feel too good."
- [Nick P] Fun with BBRef; Drew getting closer; Upton batting third - Gibson says he’s sticking with Justin Upton as his No. 3 hitter. "He’s swinging the bat better," Gibson said. "I know he’s working through a couple of things mechanically. But I really haven’t contemplated that. I always think about a lot of different things, but not with any seriousness."
- [FSAZ] Youkilis trade talk heating up; D-backs in play? - "No deal is imminent, but Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington is getting a clearer idea of how other teams value Youkilis, who has been limited by a low back strain to only 39 games this season while posting the worst offensive numbers of his career (.215/.301/.341)." I'm guessing the answer is "not highly"?
- [rgj.com] Butler says Brewer's PCL penalty opens 'can of worms' - Brewer declined to speak on the matter. But Aces manager Brett Butler addressed it before Thursday’s game. "It’s pervasive throughout baseball and I don’t think it alters the flight of the ball. It’s more for the grip," Butler said of the mixture of sunscreen and rosin. [Hat-tip: Nick P]
- [dbacks.com] D-Backs J.J. Putz to Auction Justin Bieber Autographed Card for Charity - Said Putz. "I have the chance to raise money and awareness for two important causes. Besides, convincing my twin girls I was better off taking them to Justin Bieber’s Believe Tour concert rather than keeping the card, put me in the running for father of the year." The auction is live at www.dbacks.com/auctions and will run through July 1 at 9 p.m. PT. Proceeds from the auction will be split equally between Breslow’s "Strike 3 Foundation" and Ziegler’s "Pastime For Patriots" charitable endeavors.
- [AP] Clemens acquittal latest blow for sports cases - "After three expensive failures, the government is done, it seems, with the business of pursuing high-profile cases of drugs-in-sports - with a track record not worth bragging about."
- [SI] Mets’ Dickey knuckling his way toward historic season - "He became the first pitcher to string back-to-back one-hitters together since the Blue Jays’ Dave Stieb did so in September 1988."
- [SB Nation Arizona] College World Series 2012 Bracket: Arizona Wildcats Are In Command - "The Wildcats are now at 2-0 in Bracket 1 of the 2012 College World Series in Omaha and are looking forward to finding out who their final opponent in the bracket will be."