Matt Williams is trying something new this Spring Training, offering a solemn handshake and a respectful nod to congratulate home runs.
Hello, is this thing on? This is Free Trader Beowulf... Okay, we're good.
We're in the homestretch, folks. At the end of this week, we'll have real, actual, meaningful baseball being played, and we can get back in the habit of living and dying 162 times a year with our team- even more, if we're lucky. So settle in, figure out your plans for Friday's game, and we'll give you some news to read while the clock ticks down to first pitch.
- [DBacks.com] No longer underdogs, D-backs plenty motivated - Remember how we felt about this team a year ago? Expectations are a lot different this time around.
- [AZ Central] Kirk Gibson wants Arizona Diamondbacks determined to win - A Q&A with our manager. Apparently, Gibby gets a little fidgety if his pre-game routine is threatened. And what does Gibby like best about his job? "That it's not a job. I'm still being a little boy."
- [USA Today] NL West preview: Diamondbacks look to repeat - Scouts say the team looks sluggish this spring, but wait a minute- Cahill was supposed to be our #2 starter? Really?
- [The Montgomery Advertiser] Reno Aces: Fans of minors scarce in Arizona - While we've seen more tickets sold this spring, the fanbase probably needs some development. It's okay, we've got time.
- [FanGraphs] 2012 Organizational Rankings: #16 – Arizona - This may cause a few complaints... But we do have some questions to be answered.
Okay, it's more of a calendar than a clock at this point, and calendars don't tick, but stop ruining my metaphor.Around Baseball:
- [The Denver Post] Rockies enraged after Troy Tulowitzki gets hit by Ubaldo Jimenez fastball - Setting up one of the few interleague matchups I might want to see this season, but the Rockies and Indians don't face each other. Alas.
- [San Jose Mercury News] Buster Posey's health the best development of spring camp for San Francisco Giants - Can't comment too much. Dangerous to even mention Posey here, for fear of drawing down McC readers.
- [LA Times] Michael Hiltzik: The vision of Dodgers' buyers won't come cheap - I'm still confused how the Dodgers were worth 2.5 times what the Cubs were. But I will miss all the drama and madness that has kept the Dodgers focus off the field.
- [UTSanDiego.com] Maybin is center of attention - Just a tip, San Diego. If you think your team isn't known for handing out big-money contracts, and you point to a deal worth $5 million a year? You're kind of proving the point.
- [Baseball Nation] Mariners And A's Open Season In Japan: An Eyewitness Report - Well, sure, technically the season has already started. I'm always a little torn about these international trips. I like the idea, I like that it's getting baseball shown around the world.... But I'm always glad it's not my team.