A.J. Pollock's new "steal second base from left-center field" plan has been met with some resistance.
That was a pretty frustrating game to watch, all things told.
- [DBacks.com] Hudson falters late, offense gives little support - As Hudson got ready to face McCutchen in the eighth inning, Emily and I both commented on how we were surprised he was still in the game. Sometimes, I hate being right.
- [FS Arizona] D-backs run-starved in loss to Pirates - But Hudson's day wasn't a bad one- he just had no real margin for error.
- [AZ Central] Arizona Diamondbacks lose lead late, drop series to Pittsburgh Pirates - Nothing like wasting a lead-off triple in the seventh inning and then losing a game 2-1.
- [Pittsburgh Post-Gazette] Pirates beat Diamondbacks, 2-1 - After seeing the Pirates use so much of their bullpen Tuesday, I was hoping we'd have more luck against it. Nope.
According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the DBacks are the fifth team in the last 56 years to be outscored by one in each of their first five loses in a season. In other news, I kind of like doing these posts sometimes because I get to write things like "According to the Elias Sports Bureau".
- [DBacks.com] Minor-Collmenter a contrast in recent results - If we don't see a good start from Josh Collmenter tonight, we might not be seeing starts from him again for a while.
- [Yahoo! Sports] Braves-Diamondbacks Preview - Atlanta went 9-18 to end the season and barely miss the playoffs last year. But they've taken 7 of their last 8, so they're on a hot streak as they reach the desert.
- [SB Nation Atlanta] Braves vs. Diamondbacks Preview: Atlanta Looks For Answers At Chase Field - Do the Braves always play poorly at Chase? Well, it'd be nice...
- [FS Arizona] With Young out, D-backs plan to regroup - Even Kirk Gibson's mom's advice? "You're just going to have to deal with it." Now we know where he gets it from.
- [Venom Strikes] Time for Paul Goldschmidt and Jason Kubel to Step Up in the D-Backs Lineup - With Chris Young and Justin Upton out of the picture for a while, we'll need to get more power from other parts of the lineup.
- [FanGraphs] A.J. Pollock Benefits from Chris Young Injury - In about 24 hours, he went from being one of our top outfield prospects to fourth outfielder to starter.
- [AZ Central] Nick Piecoro - CY to the DL & Upton update; Overbay vs. Goldschmidt; along comes Pollock; farm report; & other stuff - We've seen Paul Goldschmidt get seven starts at first to Lyle Overbay's five. Overbay may be one of the greatest baseball players ever named Lyle, but I'd still rather see Goldschmidt out there.
- [MiLB.com] MWL notes: Bradley proving his worth - It took a last minute deal, but I think we're all glad we aren't seeing Archie Bradley play college football this year.
- [Yahoo! Sports] Upton and Young Life Blood of the D-backs: A Fan's Analysis - The sooner we get them back, the better.
- [Big League Stew] Bartolo Colon throws 38 straight strikes, most since 1988 - That's pretty impressive.
- [Philly.com] Phillies start western swing with 5-2 win over San Francisco Giants - "Five pitches later, Halladay threw an 87-m.p.h. cutter outside and Foster rung up Brandon Belt on a generous strike-three call. Halladay marched off the mound and looked straight ahead. His demands had been heard." Look, I don't know how much of this is dramatic effect, but it's pretty ridiculous.
- [FanGraphs] Surprise! Adam LaRoche Fueling Nats Quick Start - Good to see ol' Squirrel Shoes having some success in Washington.
- [Baseball Nation] Cliff Lee Pitches 10 Innings Against Giants, Gets No-Decision - Interesting to consider- "From 1980-1989, [throwing 10 or more innings in a game] was done 248 times -- about 25 times a season."
- [HardballTalk] Throw as hard as Jamie Moyer, win free tickets - It may be harder than you think.