Got up at the crack of dawn to see Mrs. SnakePit off to her holiday bazaar, and discovered an email in my box alerting me to this...challenging, shall we say, opportunity. Full specs for it are after the jump - I was particularly amused by, " Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks simultaneously." Hey, that's part of my job description! Was also amused the sole question apparently listed was, "Will you require relocation expenses?" However, why wasn't "committed masochist" included in the list of requirements? For when I told Mrs. S, her first response was, "Ewwww...", and her second: "Well, I suppose they need it."
Yes, PR Veep for our divisional rivals right now would seem quite a tricky task, right up there in the organization alongside Marriage Guidance counselor for the McCourts, I wonder what Colonel Gadaffi's PR guy is doing right now? He'd probably have the necessary spin experience... Any other suggestions of suitable candidates?
Communications: Communications Department ManagementVice President, Public Relations - Los Angeles Dodgers (Los Angeles, CA)
POSITION: VICE PRESIDENT, PUBLIC RELATIONS
REPORTS TO: PRESIDENT
DEPARTMENT: PUBLIC RELATIONS
POSTING DATE: DECEMBER 2, 2011
DEADLINE: DECEMBER 12, 2011
START DATE: JANUARY, 2012
The Vice President of Public Relations for Los Angeles Dodgers LLC (the "Organization") will have overall responsibility for the Organization’s media relations group, as well as lead the Organization’s social media efforts and employee communications programs. In addition, the Vice President will be the club’s primary spokesperson to the media and oversee publications.
The Vice President of Public Relations will report to the President, and work in close coordination with the Organization’s General Manager, Manager, and other team personnel. Within the communications group, the Vice President will set the overall communications strategy for the Organization, and will manage a professional staff with specific responsibilities for baseball media, multilingual media outreach, business media, social media, publications, and communications support for special events and civic activities sponsored by the Organization. Such initiatives will include overseeing the writing of news releases, media advisories and other Organization-related editorial content, coordinating media interviews, and engaging in proactive media pitching. This executive will also work in coordination with the team’s marketing department on sponsor-related communications.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent management skills.
- Ability to think strategically, and be resourceful, innovative and forward-thinking.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work collaboratively with coaches, staff, colleagues and partners.
- Ability to partner with multiple departments within the Organization, including baseball operations, marketing and broadcasting, community affairs, ticketing, and sponsorship, on communications-related initiatives.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with members of the print, electronic and broadcast media and the Organization’s broadcast partners.
- Knowledge of local and regional media markets and sports public relations.
- Understanding of social media, e-commerce, and other emerging marketing trends.• Willingness to travel extensively throughout the year, and particularly during the Major League Baseball season and Spring Training.
EDUCATION OR FORMAL TRAINING:
- Bachelor’s degree in a communications-related field (public relations, journalism, marketing or communications) or equivalent combination of education and related experience and training.
- At least seven to ten years of related experience working in a media relations capacity for a professional baseball team, other professional sports franchise or an organization valuing the use of traditional and online media to reach local, global and niche audiences.
- At least four to six years of management or supervisory experience.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the satisfactory completion of a background screening.
Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:1. Will you require relocation expenses?