Not sure how often these will end up appearing during the off-season. Probably sporadically, whenever kishi or myself feels like there's enough linkage built up to justify a post. Here's the first such. There's still a good deal of reminiscing about 2011 going on - and I can't say I blame anyone - but we're also started to work towards 2012,and there's some shuffling of staff going on, as teams look for new GMs and managers.
- [FSAZ] D-backs want Montero for the long haul - "We'll figure out if it leads us to a one-year deal or a multi-year deal. I couldn't tell you where that's going to go," Towers said. "I think he likes it here, but I couldn't tell you where that is going to lead right now."
- ]AZCentral.com] Talking with Towers: Game 5; Aaron Hill; Joe Saunders; & other stuff - With regard to Saunders, Towers says, "A deciding factor will be how much confidence do we have with the younger players in our system."
- [The D-blog] Optimism Reigns Supreme for 2011 D-backs - "With a proven 20-game winner on the mound, a revitalized bullpen, All-Star-worthy talent and a never-say-die attitude up and down the roster, the rest of the National League will already know full well what the D-backs are capable of on the field. The big question is whether those other teams will be able to do anything about it."
- [Examiner.com] Time for Diamondbacks to reflect, and look ahead - "Holdover Zach Duke will toss his hat in the ring, and should the Diamondbacks decide to sign free agent Jason Marquis, that could be another name in contention." Er... No.
- [AZCentral.com] Diamondbacks rookies savor the experience - "You try and put people in situations and try to motivate them to believe in themselves and fight through some of the negative things and maybe some of the labels or stereotypes," Gibson said. "The sky's the limit."
- [dbacks.com] Focus on fundamentals set stage for Diamondbacks' rise - "Probably no win summarized the magical season for the D-backs more than their 1-0 victory over the Dodgers on May 14... They managed just one hit in that game. But that proved to be all they needed, as rookie Josh Collmenter outdueled Chad Billingsley. It was Collmenter's first Major League start."
- [ArizonaSports.com] Diamondbacks fans grew up this summer - "I'm so proud of our fans," Hall said. "In Games 3 and 4 we didn't have to prompt them, it wasn't 'hey, get on your feet, get noisy let's hear you,' they were doing it on their own."
- [Green Valley News] The Dugout: A season to remember from the D'backs - "Once the pain subsides and the season is analyzed, Arizona will realize that this season was defined by defied odds and their never-quit mentality, not missed opportunities."
- [ASU State Press] Arizona fans ignored Cinderella - "It’s almost as if the lack of attention is good for their win column. From what we’ve witnessed in 2011, it should be clear that this Diamondbacks team is one that has the tools — and mental toughness — to compete for a crown over the next few years."
- [AZCentral.com] Instructional league notes: Archie, Owings, et al - "The question of who has stood out thus far at instructional league draws raised eyebrows from Diamondbacks people at Salt River Fields, the answer so obvious that they wonder why you even bother to ask. Yeah, Archie Bradley has looked that good."
- [baltimoresun.com] Orioles Insider: GM search: And so it begins... - "There is some reason to believe one of the first interviewees could be Arizona Diamondbacks vice president for scouting and player development Jerry Dipoto."
- [FSAZ[ Gonzalez knows he wasn't only 2001 hero - "Now that it’s all said and done. I think it played out better like that. If it would have been a four and out for New York City, they would have been crushed, you know," Gonzalez said. "It played out with the dramatics of Broadway. Bright lights. Big city."
- The official Ryan "Tatman" Roberts store! - "The Tatman shirt is available in two colorways: Black on grey, or Grey on Black. The shirts are available in a wide variety of sizes..."
- [Phoenix New Times] Farelli's Cinema Supper Club Closes - The significance to the 'Pit and the D-backs? It's where Mrs. SnakePit and I watched Games 6+7 of the 2001 World Series, and where I proposed to her immediately after Game 7. Was planning to go back for the 10th anniversary, but I guess we'll have to make other plans. :(
The "In case you don't look at the Fanshots" section
- [MLB.com] MLB announces All-Star roster for Taiwan trip - Ryan Roberts will be going to Taiwan. Hope he stays away from the local criminals. Wonder how his tattoos will go down there?Or is that just in Japan?
- "#dbacks have unconditionally released right-handed pitcher Juan Gutierrez" - That Tweet was the end of Gutierrez with Arizona.
- [USAToday.com] Taking bets on next Red Sox manager? Hinch the favorite - "Bodog.net has posted odds on who will be the next Red Sox manager and the field is led by former Diamondbacks skipper A.J. Hinch (5/2), followed closely by ex-Mets manager Bobby Valentine."
- [dbacks.com] Hall chats about D-backs' successful season - Also this: "Put it to rest! We are going nowhere. We will always be in the NL, where we belong."