Another day, another defeat, as Tankapalooza 2011 really begins to gather momentum. Maybe it's time to start putting our draft rank for next year in the recap header, rather than our win total? Here are the details of the latest loss, and after the jump, word of a three-homer performance from a Diamondback - bring him up to the majors immediately!
- [AZCentral] Diamondbacks fall short against Padres - Shortly after the game, Ryal wasn't willing to discuss the play. "I missed it," Ryal said while brushing past a pack of reporters. "Write that in your (expletive) report."
- [dbacks.com] Multiple bright spots not enough to top Friars - "Our at-bats were much better tonight, but in the end we didn't pitch good enough," Gibson said. "I have no problem with their effort tonight."
- [Yahoo!] Padres hit 4 homers in 8-5 win over Diamondbacks - "It was a big disappointment for me coming after (Friday night’s) game," Lopez said. "I made some bad mistakes on pitches. I battled, but I’m not very happy with the results."
- [FanHouse] Hitting Eckersley Easy Compared to Kirk Gibson's Newest Challenge - "Take it for what it's worth, but Gibson has gained support from within the clubhouse. "The team's looser, more energetic," said one Diamondbacks insider. "Gibby's been good."" Well, isn't that nice...
- [dbacks.com] Kennedy to have innings limit in second half - "The team is targeting around 180-185 innings for him. To accomplish that, Gibson will try to keep from pitching him deep in games during the second half. "If he has a great game, it's possible we'll let him go, but we're not going to extend him very often," Gibson said."
- [AZCentral] Jackson downplays high pitch count - "I still feel normal," said Jackson, who has allowed nine runs in 10 innings in his past two starts. "But even if I was hurt, I wouldn't tell y'all. I wouldn't even tell the trainers. I'm old school with it. If it's something I can deal with, I'll deal with it."
- [NickPiecoro] Thoughts on Loux and the international market - "Certainly, developing players out of Latin America is something the Diamondbacks need to do better. After the Carlos Gonzalez/Miguel Montero/Gerardo Parra class, there’s been a huge dropoff. And who was the last solid starting pitcher they’ve developed out of Latin America?"
- [PennLive.com] Eric Groff has three-homer game in Pioneer League - "One-time Northern Lebanon High School star Eric Groff is quickly making the Arizona Diamondbacks scouting staff look like geniuses. Groff, a 44th-round selection in last month's free-agent amateur draft, crushed three home runs Friday night for the Missoula Osprey of the rookie Pioneer League."
- [milb.com] Spinners set Bubble Wrap record - Following up on an earlier story, "After the tedious process of counting was completed, the Spinners came to a final tally of 3,692 popped sheets. "I heard sporadic popping during the first few innings, but I believe most fans wanted to be a part of history," said Spinners vice president of communications Jon Goode."
- [FanHouse] A.J. Burnett 'Embarrassed' After Cutting Hands During Clubhouse Tantrum - "In a 10-5 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays at Yankee Stadium, Burnett had a different kind of emotional explosion that forced his removal from the game with minor cuts on both hands."
- [Subway Squawkers] Tim McCarver compares Yankee front office to Communists and Nazis for not sufficiently worshipping Joe Torre - No, I got nuttin'...