So now that I've given us the requisite NASA pun for the day...links!
Recaps and Previews
- [dbacks.com] D-backs beaten on Lee's walk-off homer
"To start off with a leadoff walk is dangerous, and they reminded us why. The walk didn't cause the homerun, but it certainly gave them some momentum. And Lee didn't miss the first pitch, as you saw."
- [miamiheald.com] Arizona Diamondbacks (13-15) at Houston Astros (9-18), 8:05 p.m.
"We were trying to go away, but it was up and in the middle, Gutierrez said of the final pitch. "I made a mistake and paid for it."
Team and Player News
- [khou.com] Houston products making it big with Arizona Diamondbacks
Spring Woods High School product Chris Snyder and Bellaire High graduate Chris Young both grew up in Houston and love playing here. Snyder connected on a big 3-run homer on Monday night and Young, well, he's hitting over .400 in 7 games played at Minute Maid Park.
- [dbacks.om] D-backs respond to Howell's approach
"I'm trying to get them to think, 'I own that plate. Until they come with the right speed and the right location, I'm not going to budge, and when they do, I'm going to let them know I'm there,'"
- [visaliatimesdelta.com] Ryan Wheeler powers Visalia Rawhide to win over Bakersfield Blaze and back into first in California League's North Division
"We haven't been hitting all that well of late, especially on the road and the first game of this series, but our pitching has been carrying us and Miley kept that going."
- [azcentral.com] Arizona Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson remembers Ernie Harwell
"I said, 'Well, Ernie, we got thrown a little curveball there,'" Gibson said. "He said, 'Yeah, Gibby, but three million people in China didn't even see it.'"
- [yahoo!] After being cut by M's, Eric Byrnes joins beer league softball team
Byrnes tells Gilbert that he thinks his playing days are probably over and his stat line of .094/.237/.156 with zero homers and zero RBI over 15 games with Seattle backs that up.
- [cbssports.com] Bullpen bails out unbeaten Zito as Giants edge Marlins
Good article about Tim Lincecum being 5-0 with a 1.49 ERA, though for some reason they keep misspelling his name as "Barry Zito". Seems kinda unprofessional, but whatever.
- [mediaite.com]"Los Suns": How Sports, Politics And Media Got Wonderfully Mixed-Up With Immigration
Worth a read. No real opinion on the law itself, just a look at how it's affected sports and fans since SB1070 was passed.
- Could (should) Bud Selig move the MLB All-Star Game? - Inhistoric
Could he? Yes. Should he? Everyone in Arizona says hell no.