I'll keep this short, since there'll be a Gameday Thread going up in a bit, as the offense tries to do a bit better than they managed against Jimenez last night. Here are the reviews for that [summary: thumbs down] and after the jump, a few other bits and pieces praising various members of the team. I'll be more impressed if we'd won a game since Saturday...
- [dbacks.com] Late rally not enough for D-backs - I'm not sure I'd dignify scoring three runs when you're down by seven as "a rally", but there youngo, Oddly, the auto-summary for this piece says we "fell to the Colorado Rockies, 7-0 on Wednesday night" Hmm...
- [AZCentral] Jimenez leads Rockies over Diamondbacks - "Colorado's Ubaldo Jimenez has an ERA that sounds more like a Bingo number - O-88 - so it figured he wouldn't be charitable with scoring opportunities for the Diamondbacks on Wednesday night."
- [Yahoo!] Jimenez leads Rockies over Diamondbacks - With two outs, center fielder Carlos Gonzalez had to make a running catch at the wall to retire Stephen Drew. “I thought I had it. At least a double, but Gonzalez made the play,” Drew said. “You never know what happens after that. He ran the perfect route.”
- [Purple Row] Rockies 7, Diamondbacks 3: Ubaldo Jimenez dominates Snakes, lowers ERA to miniscule 0.88 - ":Seeing 98mph on the screen most of the night was darn impressive. Jimenez improved his record to 9-1 this season. Does anyone smell a Cy Young award later in the year?"
News and Notes
- [dbacks.com] Jackson doubling down against opponents - Since May 14, eight of his nine hits have been doubles."Obviously, I'd like to string a few more multi-hit games in there," said Jackson. "Gap-to-gap is really the kind of hitter that I am and they're finding holes right now."
- [dbacks.com] Vasquez putting together soild stretch - Yep. "soild". I think that's a misprint for "solid." If it was Juan Gutierrez being discussed, it would probably be a misprint for "soiled"...
- [AZCentral] Bullpen gets boost from Esmerling Vasquez - "His stuff is good enough, and for a young reliever it's hard to believe that until you've felt it for a while," Hinch said. "Every time he takes two steps forward, he takes a step back. I have a lot of belief and a lot of trust in him, and I hope he's starting to get the confidence needed to put these strings together."
- [dbacks.com] Drew showing signs of regaining 2008 form "We joke with him a lot that he's the unluckiest hitter on our team," D-backs manager A.J. Hinch said. "But I think that might be true. He's a factor in the lineup and he has a very efficient swing." More on Drew later today, as he's the subject of "What's Up With..."
- [SI.com] Wrigley Field light-outage delays Cubs-Dodgers for 18 minutes - "The game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Chicago Cubs was delayed for 18 minutes in top of the fourth inning after the lights went out at Wrigley Field."
- [AP] Bidding for Strasburg card passes $16,000 - "The listing for the 2010 Bowman Chrome Superfractor card says it’s the only one of its kind. The bidding ends Saturday and the seller is advertising free shipping."
- [Yahoo!] Nationals pound Giants, Tim Lincecum 7-3 - "Five weeks ago Tim Lincecum appeared headed for a third straight NL Cy Young award. Now the San Francisco ace is in the biggest rut of his career and searching for a way out." Aw, bloo-hoo!
- [ESPN] Major League Baseball investigating Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, Mark Buehrle and umpire Joe West incident - "Major League Baseball will investigate the actions that took place Wednesday in Cleveland when Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and pitcher Mark Buehrle were ejected by umpire Joe West."