Today's links give us previews, recaps, updates on players, a rumor about a former managers and some random, non-baseball stories.
Recaps and Previews
- [SignOnSanDiego.com] Padres roll back Arizona in one furious inning
- [AZCentral] Diamondbacks swept by San Diego Padres - "These are games we're going to have to win if we want to contend," third baseman Mark Reynolds said. "It's just deflating as a team when you can't close out a game. Part of it is we get the lead and we can't add on, let teams stay around and they get to our bullpen. It's a tough stretch... It's a rough start for them, but they'll turn it around."
- [dbacks.com] Bullpen surrenders five in seventh for loss - "This club is going to be tested on how resilient we are and how tough we are because it's been a tough week," D-backs manager A.J. Hinch said.
- [AZ Central[ Arizona Diamondbacks set for tough homestand against St Louis Cardinals and Philidelphia Phillies - "You can convince yourself it's a tough homestand," manager A.J. Hinch said, "or it's another opportunity to play at home."
[SportingNews.com] Cardinals-Dbacks series preview
- [FoxSportsArizona.com] Two-week checkup - Jim writes about what's working and what isn't after the first dozen games.
- [dbacks.com] Outfielder Jackson injures hamstring No clue how long he'll be out, will find out today.
- [D'Backs' Venom] Diamondbacks Bullpen – Any Help on the Farm?
- [dbacks.com] Bullpen struggling with control - "D-backs manager A.J. Hinch had breakfast with a few members of his bullpen Sunday. Pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre Jr. has had his own conversations with them both individually and as a group. The message from both is the same: The walks, particularly the leadoff ones, are unacceptable. "
- [AZCentral] Allen is an athlete in the outfield - Joel Youngblood, the Diamondbacks’ minor league outfield coordinator, spent last weekend in Reno, in part to work with prospect Brandon Allen on the fundamentals of playing left field. “With more games under his belt, it’s going to be a walk in the park for him. I think he’s going to be fine.”
- [AZ Central] Kris Benson thinks he can throw harder - "I think I have a couple of more miles an hour in my shoulder. I just have to get into a routine, get out there every five days and kind of just get acclimated. It's about getting into a routine basically. That's what it all boils down to. I think once I work with the strength trainers, just get into a five-day rotation type of thing that everything will come together."
- [FoxSportsArizona.com] Video of the Brandon Webb interview
- [NYTimes.com] Davis' honesty refreshing, but for golf, it's par for the course. A self imposed penalty cost Brian Davis the win in yesterdays Verizon Heritage Open
- [Baseball-Almanac.com] Baseball player weight chart
- [mlb.com] Gagne decides to retire after 10 year career Anybody who saw him pitch during Spring Training could have seen this coming.
- [usatoday.com] Tiger pitchers gives to youth baseball facility
- [SI.com] New job for Bob Melvin? Some think so. Discussing the pressure on Mets manager Jerry Manuel - "Several people familiar with their thinking seem to believe that they know the identity of Manuel's successor, should a change be made. They all believe that would be former Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin, who was hired by the Mets this winter as a scout, but his main role, according to some people around the team, is manager-in-waiting."
And that's it for today.