Recently saw Tim Dierkes from MLB Trade Rumors as well as handful of other baseball writers come up with their top 50 free agents available this off season and predicted where all of them will end up. Since the off season is one of the more interesting time of the year during the whole baseball season, I figured why not do one right here at AZ Snakepit. It's a fun little thing to keep us occupied and it is actually a lot more challenging than many think. So here is the list of top 50 free agents (according to MLB Trade Rumors) and my predictions. I have to say, I'm probably only going to be right on half of these, but it's for fun anyway.
5. Adam Dunn - Cubs. At this pace, I don't believe Dunn will be returning to the Nats. I believe he will thrive with the Cubs and would choose to sign with them instead of say, White Sox, because of the DH factor.
8. Mariano Rivera - Yankees. No explanation needed.
9. Paul Konerko - White Sox. He'll stick with the Sox. He's their heart and soul pretty much and will be tough to sell to their fans if they don't resign him. His friendship with Jerry Reinsdorf will help too.
10. Derek Jeter - Yankees. See Mariano Rivera. Matter of years in my opinion as opposed to dollars.
12. Jorge De La Rosa - Rockies. I say he goes back to the Rockies, but plenty of suitors for the groundballer.
16. Juan Uribe - Cardinals. They need help with their middle infield and could use a guy like Uribe.
18. Jim Thome - Twins. He shall be back DHing for the Twins.
19. Vladimir Guerrero - Rangers. I think Rangers will and should sign Vlad again, He's been a nice player for them and I think he has a good year or two left in him.
23. Derrek Lee - None. I don't think he'll have a home by this time with surplus of first base options and following a surgery.
24. Lance Berkman - Diamondbacks. I think we'll end up with the cheaper option at first in Berkman over Konerko and others. A bounceback candidate.
25. Andy Pettitte - Yankees. Retirement or Yankees.
29. John Buck - Red Sox. The Sox showed interest in Buck this off season and with only Salty as their starting catching option, Buck makes a lot of sense here.
30. Javier Vazquez - Nationals. Nats are looking for starting pitcher this off season and with Vazquez preferring to stay in the East Coast, he'll return to the organization his career started with.
31. Scott Downs - Red Sox. Tough decision on their part as they'll have to give up their first rounder, but I think Downs will end up in bean town.
32. J.J. Putz - Diamondbacks. He could get pricy, but I think this is where the Diamondbacks make their biggest splash.
33. Brian Fuentes - Yankees. Another Diamondbacks possibility, but he'll probably end up with non closing situation.
35. Hisanori Takahashi - ? Little information on him.
37. Joaquin Benoit - Rays. The Rays will want him back with Soriano, Wheeler, and Balfour all most likely gone.
38. Kevin Millwood - Padres. Hoyer will try to pull Garland here on a one year deal.
42. Grant Balfour - Pirates. If we don't sign Kuroda or a starting pitcher, I think Balfour will be a nice addition to our bullpen as well, but if not, Pirates usually like to sign a reliever in the off season and he'll be their pick this time.
43. Kerry Wood - Cubs. Return to the Cubbies, Kerry.
44. Scott Podsednik - Reds. Perfect match. Lead off hitter who plays decent left field.
45. Yorvit Torrealba - Dodgers. Dodgers are anticipating to move Martin and Torrealba makes sense for them.
47. Johnny Damon - Yankees. He has a strong desire to come back and though he might not be starting, I think New York will welcome him back.
49. Koji Uehara - Orioles. I think he'll be back with the O's closing games.
50. Brandon Webb - Nationals. Our friend Webby will be reuniting with Mike Rizzo as he tries to resurrect his career.
Which FA Closer Will Diamondbacks Sign?
Rafael Soriano (3 votes)
JJ Putz (10 votes)
Brian Fuentes (5 votes)
Trevor Hoffman (8 votes)
Other (3 votes)
29 total votes