There is really no other way to put it.... what an unbelievable run to start the season. Here are a few thoughts on the surprises and areas of concern.
1) Run differential - Legitimate concern coming into the season. Bats needed to come alive. And they have so far, with different players picking us up each night.
2) Justin Upton - Fantastic start to the season - showing maturity at the plate well beyond his years.
3) Micah Owings - Has stepped up so far this year as a solid #3. Yea, it's early, but after watching him during spring training....
4) Brandon Lyon - After a shaky start, I've been pleasantly surprised to see him settle down over the last few weeks. Pitching with much more confidence and getting some big saves.
Areas of Concern:
1) Chris Young - Leadoff hitting - More of a developing concern.... I'm very happy with strides he has made with walks compared to last year, but seems last few weeks he is slipping back into old habits. I would like our lead-off hitter to at least have one of the top 3 OBP's on the team.
2) Overall agreesiveness on basepath - Granted, this hasn't been as necessary due to run differential, but would like to see a few more stolen bases from some of our top runners.
3) The Chad Tracy Dilemna - Will be healthy soon, needs to have his left-handed bat re-introduced to the line-up. Can you do this without upsetting team chemistry or cooling off CoJack at first or IronMan at 3rd?
4) The Eric Byrnes Show - I haven't been comforted by the recent news on Byrnsie's hamstrings. I noticed something a miss when he was chasing down a ball in the corner the other night before he came out.... but I'm more worried by his attitude towards it - Yes, he wants to play every day, I admire that. But I'd rather have Eric take a week or more off, let the hammies heal, than trying to play through it where it could potentially cost us in the outfield.
So there you have it -- Any comments, or other surprises / concerns I'd be interested in hearing.